Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #1

L and N Engineering Deep Sump

Do any of you who track your car have this sump kit? Just curious as to the reason for only adding 0.5 quart. Is this enough for preventing oil starvation under high g loading? Would a deeper sump be more problematic for any reason? Perhaps the deeper you go, the more you will have a need for baffles. Is it a space issue?

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #2

It's a space issue. If you go any lower, the sump becomes the lowest spot on the car. There are two other race only deep sumps, one by Mantis (Canada) and the other by Autofarm (UK) that lower the sump considerably more and have the proper oil pickup extensions, like our kit. None of the other deep sump kits properly lower the pickup.

I normally try to run about half a quart low, so the deep sump in my case puts me back to the factory fill level.

For the novice, a deep sump should be sufficient to help prevent starvation on most tracks/autocrosses. For the experienced driver and on tracks with long sustained turns, like the carousel at Road America, our 0.5qt deep sump might not be enough. Our region autocross chair had engine damage related to oil starvation at TRAK a few weeks back at Road America in his 2.7 boxster (no deep sump, etc)

That's where if it's a dedicated track car, you go with the deeper sumps and/or install an accusump, like we have on our car.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Engine Surgeon

I installed the first one (and produced the install DVD)

I run one on my 911 and most every engine I assemble..

As Charles stated, its a space constraint and Charles has maximized the SAFE space for the deep sump.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Thanks gentlemen...all good information.

I see a car driven on the street may encounter problems with something hanging down too low! Tracks dont usually have potholes etc...
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Engine Surgeon

They could, BUT all of our test cars are dual purpose street cars.. My facility is located at the top of a mountain, reached via a dirt road...

I haven't had any issues on the street with the arrangement on the street in my Boxster or 911.. Last weekend my Wife piloted the 911 to 149.281 MPH at the ECTA Land Speed event at Maxton NC.. That track is a 65 year old runway with all sorts of uneven pavement and cracks.. No issues.

If you hit a pothole big enough to create an issue with this sump extension, you'll have other issues as well...

Pretty much if I can't break it- it can't be broken...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #6

Just looking at the configuration now....yes it looks like all of these sump extensions are fairly shallow anyway. I would guess you don't want too much of a low point anyway as Charles indicated......I am really liking the L an N products I see!

Charles/Jake where would you recomend that I get an IMS upgrade install done? I am in Toronto. I would even drive into the States to get set up....Chicago is pretty close
Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Engine Surgeon

The very first thing that you should spend money on is the IMS bearing!!

I have a car being shipped to me from Canada right now for an IMS retrofit.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

Great, I may be doing that to get the 3.6 one day....how easy is this for us Canadians?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Engine Surgeon

I have a ton of cars being shipped here from canada over the winter..
How easy is that?? Just find a shipper and thats all you have to do.

Send me a check when the work is done and we'll ship it back.

Heck, I have an engine here from Russia right now! That wasn't quite so easy to ship, but we pulled it off.