Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #1

Garage
Questions on boxster hardtops

Do these offer any real protection in a crash or rollover? How robust is the construction?

Do any regions mandate these for DE's?

If you buy a used one, how involved is it to mount the hardware and fit it?

thanks

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #2

boxster spec racing site

The hardtop itself and hardware is very easy to fit and install. 2 person job. Various postings here about the install process. The NER PCA allows Boxsters with out a hardtop at DE events; but you may need the BK roll bar extension. I'm sure owners from some other regions will respond as well.

For what its worth, hardtops are required in the Boxster spec racing class; it is not listed under the 'safety requirements', but under the body section.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/bsrrules.html
"Body:
Hard tops are mandatory and may be either factory or after market fiberglass replicas of the factory roof. No carbon fiber. Rear Window must be stock in appearance with no venting (can be lexan material)."

My feelings are that it would provide minimal added protection in a roll over with out a supplemental roll cage.

As for the added overall safety... I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction I will leave safety guidance to others with more knowledge of the hardtops construction and accidents.

pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Bob Hindson Racing

The only added protection that you gain from a hardtop would be protection from smaller debris entering the cabin (like rolling the car down a hill landscaped with bushes).
Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

I've heard the same thing from a friend who races, amazingly, Hondas. The top is required to get on the track, but it's just a rule, and I don't trust it to provide extra safety. Mine is very light, and easy to put on and take off, so when it gets cold, I put it on. It makes it warmer, my stereo sounds better, and people look at my car funny, wondering what it is! lol

I like my hardtop for real cold days and long drives, but otherwise, it's top down and the wind in my hair.

gunmetalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote