Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

Garage
Heat Shielding

I've read several articles regarding the pros and cons of "wrapping" exhaust headers. Perhaps, someone can give me some advice. I recently installed a set of custom fabricated headers and cats on my 986 Boxster S. Unfortunately, the position of one of the headers now comes in close contact with a rubber engine hose of some sort. Is there a material that one could use that would shield the hose from the exhaust header. I would prefer to not wrap the header. Therefore, could I instead wrap the hose with the appropriate material ?

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

That should be the power steering line. If it melts through, you will see a huge amount of smoke and some have reported fires occuring.
zip tie it out of the way, and wrap the headers. If the headers are custom made, maybe the guy can make a custom heat shield. I would buy a fire extinguisher and keep in the car.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
That should be the power steering line. If it melts through, you will see a huge amount of smoke and some have reported fires occuring.
zip tie it out of the way, and wrap the headers. If the headers are custom made, maybe the guy can make a custom heat shield. I would buy a fire extinguisher and keep in the car.
Could I instead wrap the hose with the same material ?

Johnny

p.s. Its the large hose on the passengers' side.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #4

Garage
Check this site, ( http://www.thermotec.com/ ) I use it on a number of applications. Wrapping your headers will cut down on under hood temps on conventional cars. Ours on the other hand will not because our exhaust exits down into the airflow under the car. Wrapping will keep the exhaust header hot, which will keep the exhaust hot, which will keep the exhaust velocity high and will increase cylinder scavenging.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

Personally, I've always been leery about wrapping headers on a street car. Most people wrap their headers in an attempt to manage a heat problem. The arguement for better scavenge effect is all but moot until the tach is pointing at 1-o'clock or better.

In reality, all they're doing is forcing the issue downstream. I've seen many cats fail prematurely on cars using header wrap. Something to consider at least.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I've read several articles regarding the pros and cons of "wrapping" exhaust headers. Perhaps, someone can give me some advice. I recently installed a set of custom fabricated headers and cats on my 986 Boxster S. Unfortunately, the position of one of the headers now comes in close contact with a rubber engine hose of some sort. Is there a material that one could use that would shield the hose from the exhaust header. I would prefer to not wrap the header. Therefore, could I instead wrap the hose with the appropriate material ?

Does anyone agree that I should wrap the power steering hose with the appropriate material in order to shield it from the header ?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Does anyone agree that I should wrap the power steering hose with the appropriate material in order to shield it from the header ?
Unless you want problems, it would be a good idea, but rather than wrap it, look into heat resistant sleeve materials. Companies like Thermo Tec make heat resistant sleeve materials that are aluminized on the outside to reflect heat away. Simply cut to length, disconnect the line and slide it over, reconnect the line; you’re done. No zip ties to crap out, just thermal protection.

Most speed shops carry this stuff, it is very useful for protecting all sorts of wires and hoses…………..

[

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-25-2009 at 07:15 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Unless you want problems, it would be a good idea, but rather than wrap it, look into heat resistant sleeve materials. Companies like Thermo Tec make heat resistant sleeve materials that are aluminized on the outside to reflect heat away. Simply cut to length, disconnect the line and slide it over, reconnect the line; you’re done. No zip ties to crap out, just thermal protection.

Most speed shops carry this stuff, it is very useful for protecting all sorts of wires and hoses…………..

[
+1 on this solution those headers are way to pretty to hide
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Bob Hindson Racing

Whether you go the route of tying the line out of the way and/or shielding it, you must keep it away from the headers.