Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

987/997 Climate Control Buttons Paint Peeling

Anybody else have trouble with the soft paint coming off the climate control temperature and fan buttons/switches on their 987/997? I picked up an extra unit and had Robbie at Sticky No More redo the buttons. Will have to see if he has some before and after photos I can post. Mine is the first one he has done, but it looks like any more will be very reasonably priced if the owner sends him either the unit or the just the buttons/switches.

Disassembled my unit myself. Pretty simple, but you need a 6 mm Torx socket or screwdriver to disassemble. The fan and temp buttons/switches come out the front of the unit. Used round toothpicks to spread the pivots and then pushed each of four small guide extensions out of their slots. Takes about five minutes once you do the first one.

One additional question, though, does anyone know how to get the air conditioning/climate control unit out of the center console on a 2005 987 Boxster? Hate to take it to the dealer and I do not have a WSM.

I got my switches back from Sticky No More today and they are perfect. You can even see the fan and TEMP symbols through the switch, just like before the fix so they will be visible at night, and these will never wear out.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Tazandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #2

I have seen these complaints before. Porsche will fix under warranty. But, your 2005 was probably past warranty.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote