Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Garage
License Plate LED'S ect....

I'm sure that this questioned has been asked and commented on before, however, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with changing out the oem license plate bulbs with either an LED or a high intensity bulb of some sort ? If, so, please make a recommendation.

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

Hoen

http://www.hoen-usa.com/licenseplate.htm

They are currently out of stock until the 14th of this month and are highly reccomended as they are a sure fit plug in with minimal hassle. I am awaiting mine on the 14th.

e/ It will not require any of the hassles of past where it was required to solder resistors, capacitors, and inline wiring.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel
Hoen

http://www.hoen-usa.com/licenseplate.htm

They are currently out of stock until the 14th of this month and are highly reccomended as they are a sure fit plug in with minimal hassle. I am awaiting mine on the 14th.

e/ It will not require any of the hassles of past where it was required to solder resistors, capacitors, and inline wiring.
Thanks Cartel. By the way, it looks like you have one hell of a nice mod'd 986 S.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Thanks Cartel. By the way, it looks like you have one hell of a nice mod'd 986 S.
Thanks a lot. Although it was never said you have an extremely well put vehicle and the turn out was phenominal. I've been on the phone an awful lot lately to straighten a minor mishap with my ECU at FVD with Rhonda and she had nothing but the nicest of comments about you. Well done and thank you for going the next mile in regards to your mods that not very many will do. Enjoy it in the best of health my friend.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #5

So C5W is the correct bulb type? Does it have to be 37mm? Ebay has a ton of these much cheaper in the 36 and 38mm sizes. My OEM bulb is exactly 37.38mm, so I'd guess the 38 mm bulbs would fit fine.

Do a search on eBay for C5W LED and you'll see about 90 products available. I think I'm going to see if the cheap Chinese supplier on eBay I used for my LED city lights has these. They gave me pretty good service.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
I'm sure that this questioned has been asked and commented on before, however, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with changing out the oem license plate bulbs with either an LED or a high intensity bulb of some sort ? If, so, please make a recommendation.
It looks like the Hoen product is an excellent choice. Simple, straightforward and reliable.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

running lights mod

you can change out the stock filament running light bulbs in the front headlights also. I used a 4 led blue for the front running light. you have to pull the headlight assembly. very easy though.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Boxster license plate bulb 6418 which is a 3610

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/festoon_3610-x4.htm

Last edited by 2K3_Boxster_S; 09-12-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: more info
2K3_Boxster_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #8

i changed out most of my bulbs....

the rear license plate looks very nice with a "blue" or "hyper white" LED. it looks slightly blue...but not ricey. it has a more "modern" look to me.. brighter too.

I put blue LEDs into my front parking lights. if you have just the parking ligths on it looks cool...bluish/xenon kind of tint to it...once you turn on your main headlights, however, it's all washed otu and will look like whatever your lights look like when on.

i changed out my dome light and door lights as well. the door lights don't have a lot of clearance...I believe I ended up using regular bulbs, not LEDs for the doors, b/c the LEDs were physically too large to fit. check the clearance of your bulbs and verify dimensions on th bulbs you order. the leds I bought worked fonr in some spots, not others.

good luck.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #9

For those of you interested in going down the route in purchasing the Hoen units, I have been in touch with Andreas for the past 2 weeks. This morning he informed me the units will arrive Friday and shipped out either this up and coming Tuesday or Wednesday. I simply cannot wait to recieve them as my lights are in due need of replacement. Upon installation I will post photographs.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #10

Just curious why you want the license light so bright? I'd just as soon not even want mine visable at night.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Just curious why you want the license light so bright? I'd just as soon not even want mine visable at night.
I think it's because folks want to match the rear lights with the white xenon lights in the front of their cars to totally rid it of the yellowish halogen looking light all around. A lot of new cars (particularly Japanese ones), come with white led lights for their license plate illumination, and supposedly makes the car look more modern. :

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
My license plate bulbs are already due for replacement and on top of that my lights are blacked out, therefore, visibility is reduced for those around me. My car at night already looks like a floating license plate but I am more than positive the new bulbs will help others see me a bit more than before.

On a side note, with my current license plate and blackened lightsI am kind of asking for trouble, so in that sense I am not worried about being pulled over. Plus, I hardly ever drive over the speed limit!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #13

couldnt really capture the blue with camera. alot more blue in person.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #14

Garage
I installed a set of Hoen license plate LED's on my vehicle yesterday. As one would expect , it was a very simply and straightforward job. There were no connectivity issues, fuse "blowing" problems or otherwise. The end result brought a wonderful, clean, crisp contemporary look to the tail end of my boxster. I highly recommend them !
Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I installed a set of Hoen license plate LED's on my vehicle yesterday. As one would expect , it was a very simply and straightforward job. There were no connectivity issues, fuse "blowing" problems or otherwise. The end result brought a wonderful, clean, crisp contemporary look to the tail end of my boxster. I highly recommend them !
I wholeheartedly agree with you, sir. I recieved mine this this past weekend and went about to installing them only to find out my license plate light assembly's lenses were yellowed through time, therefore, the results are not yet clearly evident. I ordered the assembly via Suncoast in FL and will have them come tomorrow. I will post pictures once I have the lighting assemblies along side the Hoen LED Side Markers I ordered which will hopefully be here by this week.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Pat

I just noticed one of my rear license plate bulbs is out. LEDs are certainly the way to go for replacements. So I did a little research and found this thread. Am I misreading this or are the Hoen LED bulbs $55 for the pair? That is ABSURD.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
you can change out the stock filament running light bulbs in the front headlights also. I used a 4 led blue for the front running light. you have to pull the headlight assembly. very easy though.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Boxster license plate bulb 6418 which is a 3610

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/festoon_3610-x4.htm

Can anyone confirm the 3610 from superbrightleds.com will work without any problems?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I just noticed one of my rear license plate bulbs is out. LEDs are certainly the way to go for replacements. So I did a little research and found this thread. Am I misreading this or are the Hoen LED bulbs $55 for the pair? That is ABSURD.
I highly recommend the Hoen LED's .

www.hoen-usa.com
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Pat

I have no doubt they are nice, but as long as bulbs work, last and cause no CELs, why pay so much?
I used LEDs in my A4 license plate and they worked perfectly. They were maybe $15 shipped.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I have no doubt they are nice, but as long as bulbs work, last and cause no CELs, why pay so much?
I used LEDs in my A4 license plate and they worked perfectly. They were maybe $15 shipped.
Its your choice, however, the boxster may prove to be a different application than the Audi. After researching the topic on a few of the Porsche forums, I discovered that many boxster and cayman owners had experienced problems with a good deal of the LED's that they had purchased on Ebay. For that reason, many of them recommended the Hoen. If you ask me, they have proven to be well worth the the $35..00.