Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #1

no AC and windshield wiper

01 Boxster S w/ 36K miles. This morning, turn on the AC, the AC display works but no usual fan noise. Also, windshield wiper does not work. Checked pertinent fuses: B4, C5, C6, C7, D6, and E7. They look ok.
What would you guys do next?
Thanks for your help.

Bellaroxio Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #2

any other goofy electrical gremlins? Key hard to turn or pull out? Does it "clunk" when removing key from ignition? Radio stuck on or door ding on after key removed and door opened?

Because it's both the A/C and wipers (which are on separate relays) it sounds to me like it could be the usually suspected ignition switch ($8-15 part when purchased on-line). Details for DIY R&R here

What other symptoms?

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-25-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

you hit in on the NAIL

YES to all of these:
"Key hard to turn or pull out? Does it "clunk" when removing key from ignition? Radio stuck on or door ding on after key removed and door opened?"May I ask what is the next step?
Thanks so so so much
Bellaroxio Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #4

next step is to replace the electrical switch part of the ignition lock assembly. It's a quick job once you contort yourself to lay on your back in the driver's side footwell.

Click on the word here in my post above and it will take you to Mike Focke's Boxster page w/ instructions and p/n needed. It's only a $9.11 part plus ship from ************************************************************. You can also check local VW/Audi dealers (shouldn't be more than $35-40 there). Most P-car dealers will try to s/tell you on replacing the whole ignition lock a$$embly...

In the mean time, until you get the switch replaced, you need to be very careful the battery doesn't die on you. With a bad switch, the cars electrical components tend to stay active and w/o support from the alternator they quickly drain the battery. Most people will just disconnect the - terminal each time they shut the car off for more than 30min to prevent.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

+1 on ignition switch.

My ac icon wouldn't come on but my fan would run. I had never tried the wipers. Check out my do it yourelf thread, as I have links to pedros and other. its a pretty easy fix yourself. http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189051#post189051

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #6

A bad ignition switch will make the car's electronics act downright possessed. Some stuff will work, other things won't, and if you move the key in and out and turn it and jiggle it, you'll find that stuff will start working while other stuff might stop working.

It's freaky the first time it happens.

This is one piece of crap plastic part that Porsche STILL USES in all of its cars. Buy two so you have one in your toolbox for the next time it goes out.

I will never go on a cross-country road trip without one of these in the car and the tiny screwdriver required to replace it as well as a printout of the instructions from Mike's pages. No sense in getting raped by a dealer while on vacation.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote