Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #1

Got a CEL light

It came up as Secondary Air injection i forget the exact code but doesn't seem like anything. I have a Pedros DIY cold air intake and desnorkeled the air intake. The motor feels and sounds fine, we recently did an oil change on it about a month ago, it's not leaking anything at all. I'm assuming it comes up as that because of the increased air in the intake and the sensor is probably reading excess air, never heard of that on any car though. Any ideas what this might be? It doesn't seem serious but just wanted to ask here.

bigborian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #2

I have the Codes P0140 and P1411, Secondary Air injection system on my car right now with the CEL on.

I have diagonised my car to either the air valve or the vacuum switch. Most forums recommend replacing both anyways (About $100, DIY).

Maybe this helps you.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #3

is there a DIY write up for it? Where is the air valve and vacuum switch? Also would this be covered under warranty?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #4

I haven't seen a DIY... which mean I'll write it myself when I get to that project.
Locations of the valve and switch is on top the engine.

Go here for the manuals: http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

And Warranty??? Depends on your policy. These are emmisions parts, so you may be able to get it covered.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #5

I'm assuming they don't sell these parts at auto parts store i would have to order them online? Also is it particularly damaging to run my car with this problem? What exactly does the air valve/vacuum switch do? The car didn't throw any other codes, not running lean or rich or anything. It runs perfectly fine i don't notice any difference in the car.

However i might have my mechanic do it for me too just cause i just don't have the time these days. While I'm at it i might have him do a tune up, replace spark plugs, fuel filter, and these two parts.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

I've run about 5000 miles with the CEL on. The valve and switch only fire during cold start-ups. The parts are available from Pelican (on line).

You will need to clear the codes when your done.