Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Porsche_Baller
Exclamation AC Condenser Problems!!! HELP PLEASE IT HOT!

My A/C has gone out in my 99 boxter I thought it was my freon leaking but i had it looked at and it was full with no leaks. We looked at the fuses but their all good. The mechanic told me he didn't know much about a Porsche but he suggested that i disconnect the battery for like 15 min and it might reset the condenser but im scared that if i disconnect the battery the security system will engage and not let me use my radio or even start my car for that matter.. PLEASE any suggestions will be greatly helpful!!!

Porsche_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #2

I think you mean the compressor. The condenser is just a small radiator which lives in front of the coolant radiator to allow the refrigerant to release it's heat. They can fail from corrosion or get pierced by a rock, allowing the refrigerant gas to escape which you say is not the problem.

Assuming it's the compressor, there are many possible causes. The electro-clutch on the compressor may have failed, or come disconected. The system has a low pressure switch which cuts out the compressor if you lose all your refrigerant to protect it from running 'dry' - this could have failed or become disconnected.

It may not be the compressor at all - the Climate Control unit may have failed. This CC unit relies on a number of temperature sensors, any of which may have failed. The unit also regulates the temperature by varying the opening of several flaps in the dash. These are operated by rods which are electric motor driven, a failed motor or disconnected rod could be the fault.

Finally, all AC systems use a device called an expansion valve - a small orifice where the liquid refrigerant is forced through and changes to a gas. These can become clogged, requiring replacement. If you have a bad expansion valve, the unit will not cool, though appears in all other ways to be operating.

Nothing too different about the Porsche system. If your mechanic cannot tackle it, consider another mechanic.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Disconnecting the battery will not 'reset' the compressor. Assuming that you have the proper key, it will not prevent you from starting the car or trigger the alarm.

Disconnecting the battery will cause your radio to go into security mode (dead) until you enter the security code - it'll ask for it. If you don't have the code, you should because a battery could always fail, old, accidentally leave the lights on, etc.

If you take the serial number from the radio and send it to me in a PM, I have the software to retrieve your radio code for you.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Porsche_Baller
Talking

how should i get the serial #? i dono how to get the radio out... i can tell you its the one with the GPS and all the bells and whisles...

Porsche_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote