Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #1

boxster smoking on start up

Hi I have recently bought a boxster (03) with 77,000 on the clock. On start up I have noticed it is a bit smokie. It drives very well in its performance but am a bit worried. I have looked back a service history and only now noticed it has had two minor services at 11,000 and 21,000 then the next two were major at 43,000 and 76,000 with no other services in between. Could this mean the engine is worn badly due to the poor upkeep. If so is there anything I can do?? Any advice I would much appreciate, thanks

Mark

mark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #2

White/blue smoke at startup is normal for flat/boxer engines - because the pistons are horizontal oil can seep past the piston rings when parked. Typically you will see it if the car was parked for more than a day or two, or if you park it on a hill. It shouldn't be huge amounts of smoke, just a few seconds worth.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

Welcome to the 986forum!

Poke around a bit (search) this is a frequent first post, the occasional plume is a common attribute of the engine design.

i.e. Cloud of Smoke
smoke
Cloud of smoke -Porsche Boxster 2000
etc

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #4

Still not sure why this is considered normal? This is not a dry sump 911 engine where the oil drains back into the case overnight and can get up above the cylinder level and make its way past the rings. The oil in our cars IS IN the bottom of the block all the time. It *should* not be making it's way into the base of the cylinders and past the rings.

I call BS. I call internet BS. This "situation" can and does happen with air cooled 911 dry sump engines.. but it should NOT be happening with the water cooled engines. It is also VERY VERY rare on the 911 engines.

Prove me wrong.. please..

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #5

But I read it on the internet, it must be tru

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #6

The problem with the web? 99.9% of shop owners who actually KNOW what is going on don't have time to be on the web. Then when they do come on the web and correct people or show people.. they usually get ran off. Happens all the time..

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #7

Wouldn't this have to do with the horizontal lay of the cylinder vs. vertical or V?
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #8

I don't know about the others, but my 2000 S with 66K miles on the odometer DOES NOT smoke at startup. It does tick, though. Thanks, cracked exhaust manifolds!

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #9

smoke on start up

My 98 boxster has smoked on start up just a quick puff for a second or two then it went away ,but it has only happened three or four times total since I bought it almost three years ago now ,it has 88 k on it bought it with about 81 k was told by the porsche dealers and anyone I have ever talked to it is normal,but the first time it did this it scared the heck out of me to see a bunch of smoke in the air behind me

Last edited by rd400rz; 06-29-2009 at 12:36 AM.
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Still not sure why this is considered normal? This is not a dry sump 911 engine where the oil drains back into the case overnight and can get up above the cylinder level and make its way past the rings. The oil in our cars IS IN the bottom of the block all the time. It *should* not be making it's way into the base of the cylinders and past the rings.

I call BS. I call internet BS. This "situation" can and does happen with air cooled 911 dry sump engines.. but it should NOT be happening with the water cooled engines. It is also VERY VERY rare on the 911 engines.

Prove me wrong.. please..

B
I don't know Brad, both my Boxster and 993 have randomly smoked on startup since I've owned them. Both cars can go weeks or more and then I'll go to start one of them and I get the smoke. My understanding is that both engines, whether air or water cooled have oil sprayed into the cylinder underneath the piston for cooling and lubrication. It's the oil in the cylinder on shutdown - and the horizontal layout of these engines that allows that oil to slowly work it's way past the rings and burn on the next engine start.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #11

Well if the boxer engine is the culprit, are we seeing this phenomenon in the Subi's too?

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #12

"My understanding is that both engines, whether air or water cooled have oil sprayed into the cylinder underneath the piston for cooling and lubrication."

No water cooled M96 or M97 has piston squirters. The new GenII DFI does have squirters (from what I have seen)

B
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #13

I have a BMW motorcycle twin boxer (R1200C) and it also smokes the same way the Boxster does at startup. It is normal, according to both dealerships I spoke to (Porsche and BMW Motorcycle), on both. Again, it has to do with oil seeping past the pistons and settling at rest due to the horizontal layout of the engine. Has this been a straight or a V configuration engine, the oil settles to the bottom and would have a chance to burn at startup.
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #14

Garry

porsche south africa advise very normal when left standing to have smoke on ignition
on another note im looking at replacing the back tyres with continentals conti sports but leave the michelin pilots on the front any comment on whether i need all same tyres front and back as the tyre dealer is saying its only needed on 4 wheel cars
thanks garry
garryjohnmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #15

Come on guy's!! Of course the dealers are going to call it normal especially if the vehicle in question is under warranty!!

Tires: you can run it that way, but it will have odd handling characteristics when pushed into corners.

B