Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

Ignition Switch replacement - Thanks members!!!

It is hard to beleive that a little 25 dollar solid state device can completely immobilize a boxster!!

After all the research on here, I said what the hell and ordered one after I almost got caught with my pants down the other day after a fill up. The damn switch went crazy and I tried everything to insert the key...Finally, I got the key to catch just enough and the car started. Literally sweating bullet's, it was off to the garage with no stops and hope this is only the switch.

Replaced it this afternoon and it was relatively simple....and talk about night and day difference!! The other one was shot.

Although it's like working upside down in a submarine, the old switch came out and new one went in pretty seamless. The air duct was not that big of a deal taking off and putting back on either.

I'm glad I did this as I really did not want to go the dealer route as it usually ends up being big bucks.. Atleast this would let me know if it was the mechanical portion that was failing. It wasn't....just the electronic switch portion just like many members on here have said.

Great forum! Thanks to all members on this site that put up DIY info for this!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #2

Just completed mine as well and I agree, thanks to the great information here by everyone I was able to complete this repair myself as well. A little hard getting into position, but other than that, very easy.