Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) on 00S

All,

I have a 2000 S that came to me with the early version PSE (Sebring Pipes at the back). I was under the car for other reasons last weekend and by sheer dumb luck, noticed a small problem with the PSE. The vacuum line that operates the PSE valve on the driver's side melted some time in the past and is no longer attached to the valve. Without any vacuum, I assume that side is completely non functional.

Here's a pix of the pass side for reference. You can see the small diameter black vacuum line is attached to the larger diameter vacuum line coming from the valve.

So the question is not so much how did that vacuum line melt, but more importantly, where does the vacuum line go when it passes through the heat shielding?

I wanted to by-pass the vacuum valves entirely by using large size hose clamps to just lock the valves in the open position. After doin this and starting the car, I immediately noticed a nasty metallic rattle sound coming from the exhaust that was not there before using those clamps, so off they came.

Here's a picture:

For those that have the valves open all the time, how'd you do that?

TIA,

past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 06-16-2009 at 07:03 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
All,

It seems the vacuum line that operates the PSE valve on the driver's side melted some time in the past and is no longer attached to the valve. Without any vacuum, I assume that side is completely non functional.

So the question is not so much how did that vacuum line melt, but more importantly, where does it get its vacuum source once its goes through the heat shielding?

Finally, I wanted to by-pass the vacuum valves entirely by using large size hose clamps to just lock the valves in the open position. After doin this and starting the car, I immediately noticed a nasty metallic rattle sound coming from the exhaust that was not there before using those clamps, so off they came.

Final question for those that have the pipes open all the time, how'd you do that?

TIA,

You got it all the other way, the PSE is default on OPEN valves. As indicated in your pictures with the vaccuum line melted, the valve is on OPEN (loud) mode. To clamp the lever means to CLOSE the valve (silent mode)... Each vaccuum actuator side is independent of each other.

The plastic tubing melted due to extreme heat produced by the muffler (thus you have a heat shield)... Plastics in close proximity to heat shields IMO is just poor design... If you decide to change the melted plastic tube, i suggest that you go with silicone vaccuum lines which are more resistant to heat.

Personally, i would just leave the PSE on default/OPEN at all times by disconnecting the vaccuum lines. I dont see the need for the electric switch.

Last edited by spine911; 06-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the fast repsone.

I did a search and found that others had asked the question about "what is default mode" without answer so this is going to help others out in the future.
Now to disconnct the side that still has vacuum.

past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote