Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Q: What is throttle position at idle?

Hi gang,

I've been playing with the OBD scanner on my 2000 Boxster, and I noticed that at idle the TPS is reporting about 1%.

Everything seems perfect - I'm just wondering what this value should be? It seems to me that it should read zero without driver input...

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #2

Fly by wire cars have NO idle air bypass like the cable cars. They crack the throttle blade 1% for idle

Want to learn something scary? Turn the car off, but key on, and floor the gas pedal. Report back what it say's for TPS

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Fly by wire cars have NO idle air bypass like the cable cars. They crack the throttle blade 1% for idle

Want to learn something scary? Turn the car off, but key on, and floor the gas pedal. Report back what it say's for TPS

B
I didn't try it, but I'm guessing that the throttle is wide open for clear-flood mode.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

We are seeing an average reading of only 88% when wide open. The highest I have seen is 92%. Most of us *thought* it should be 100% when wide open.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

My '04S registers 0% at idle, and 99.99% at WOT.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #6

I know you and I totally forgot about the tranny stuff! Is it cool if I send Rob Ways over to pick it up? or did you off it already?

I'm beginning to wonder if the 88% cars need to have the Fly-By-Wire calibrated. Simple to do with the PSTII or the PIWIS.

B
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #7

Good info, thanks!
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 AM   #8

Cool Throttle Position

At idle my Throttle is at 2.27 with a value of 2.

I was having trouble with my throttle not opening all the way at higher RPM it turned out that the Fuel Injectors were mounted too low or about 20 thousand of an inch to far into the manifold...

At full Throttle it is now 99.9 with a value of 99.9

Egas model

catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote