Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #1

Removing Foam from Filter Element

Hello, First post on this forum, been browsing for a few days now. Have learnt alot from you guys. Thanks

Drive a 1998 2.5l and having read toolpants comments on the MAF I have now decided not to remove the snorkel, but remove the foam from the paper filter. I was considering a K&N but believe the comments regarding Oil on the MAF affecting performance. I have just cleaned my MAF part number 96.606.123.00. 7t is actually a Mercedes Benz part. Bosch part number 0280.217.007. Thought I would post that as I learnt this from your previous posts.

So heres my question-how do you remove the foam section from the paper filter. I just simply want a little more induction noise.

Carlo-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:50 AM   #2

hey,
can you get to your engine? there some instructions in this forum, just cant find it right now.
i removed my snorkle and the foam 2 days ago, and it sounds better at higher RPM. Better meaning the air induction sound has be amplified.

take out your filter, behind the drivers side, and one side is paper filter (towards the engine side) and one is black foam. just pull on the foam part and it rips out.
shake it or vacuum the filter before you put it back. it may look clean but LOT of dirt and dust comes out.

snorkle: you just got a pull it out, HARD! but watch for your hands, you may cut your hand from those sharp clips that holds the grill. (I got a big cut on my right hand) i'd say you wear gloves.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks for your prompt reply, I do not intend on removing the snorkel as I dont have one anyway!! I have checked.

The foam section seems to be stuck to the paper filter somehow and i didnt want to rip the foam. Do you use a knife to cut the foam away from the rubber??
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #4

Dude, just rip it off! You won't hurt anything.

Taking a knife to it might just cut into the paper part, which you don't want to do.

PS - I set out to desnorkel my 97 and found out a previous owner had already done it for me.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote