Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #1

Different Borla Mufflers

My 2002 S has had the Borla catback on it for a year or so, and it looked great, but had a bad drone around 2000 rpms (like many aftermarket systems).

I had a weld break look on the system, so Borla sent me a free replacement. When I looked at the replacement, it has different mufflers! The original ones were 4" diameter x 16" long, and the new ones are 5" diameter. It installs the same, but have a much better sound to it. I need to drive it more, but the sound under 3K is quieter.

I am very pleased with this compared to the original. So anyone who buys the system, make sure that they send the "newer" setup.

cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Good to hear they sorta fixed the dreaded drone. Curious- looks like the weld between the two cans just broke right off....what happened when the weld became undone?...you got rattles? And if the weld broke off after a year, what's to stop the same weld from cracking again? Doesn't look like they changed the welding in the new design.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #3

Yea, I hope the problem doesn't repeat itself. But the welds on this piece look much better. I wonder if they were having a lot of problems and had to silently "upgrade" the piece.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah
Yea, I hope the problem doesn't repeat itself. But the welds on this piece look much better. I wonder if they were having a lot of problems and had to silently "upgrade" the piece.
I think a lot of people complained about the resonance. Everyone I spoke to who had one of the early versions said the cabin drone was almost unbearable, but it's good to see that they fixed that. If my Dansk muffler ever gives out, I'll probably give this one a try.

Does it sound pretty much like the old version except that it doesn't have the cabin drone?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

I still haven't got any highway time since, but it sounds like a completely different car. (Logging/Tuning my GTP everyday, so I haven't driven the Boxster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I think a lot of people complained about the resonance. Everyone I spoke to who had one of the early versions said the cabin drone was almost unbearable, but it's good to see that they fixed that. If my Dansk muffler ever gives out, I'll probably give this one a try.

Does it sound pretty much like the old version except that it doesn't have the cabin drone?