Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #1

Water pump lubrication

Does the water pump get any lubrication from the coolant?
My coolant has been in the car for 67,000km & 9 years and I wonder if "old" coolant has an affect on water pump life.
Coolant change is coming up, but should I also change the pump while the system is empty?
Steve

Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #2

Yes, your coolant provides lubrication to the waterpump. Yes old coolant has an effect on the waterpump, a negative effect.

Porsche says the coolant is 'lifetime', but it's really 5yr./150k mi. whichever comes first.

Porsche doesn't make coolant, there's no magic about it. It is just repackaged w/ the Porsche logo. It is supplied by an Italian co. who's plant also makes coolant for Texaco, among others. The best coolant coming from this plant, or anywhere, which is partnered with water is 5yr./150k mi. There are waterless coolants out there which have double/triple this lifespan.

After that time, both the lubricating properties and the corrosion protection break down.

You're almost twice the expected service life, so in fact you're overdue for a flush and fill.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

Thanks LB - coolant change is on the cards for later this week. Hope I can manage it with my Bentley manual.
Steve
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #4

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, but may I suggest you keep extra coolant in trunk for a week or two after the change? I refilled the radiator and let it idle until the fans came on and refilled it and it still wasn't good enough. Every time I drove the Box for a week I got the coolant light telling me to add more. I did this probably a half dozen times before she finally had enough. Always afraid of over filling, I added just enough each time. Again, maybe you'll get it right the first time, but I think it wise to carry some extra coolant wherever you go for a week or so. If you need it you'll have it and if you don't -- no harm done.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, but may I suggest you keep extra coolant in trunk for a week or two after the change? I refilled the radiator and let it idle until the fans came on and refilled it and it still wasn't good enough. Every time I drove the Box for a week I got the coolant light telling me to add more. I did this probably a half dozen times before she finally had enough. Always afraid of over filling, I added just enough each time. Again, maybe you'll get it right the first time, but I think it wise to carry some extra coolant wherever you go for a week or so. If you need it you'll have it and if you don't -- no harm done.

That is pretty normal when changing coolant. Seems these systems need to be replenished a few times after the change.

And, yes, there is NO lifetime anything when it comes to fluids.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote