Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #21

A 987 mount is around $170 (Check Suncoast). I just bought one. Porsche has had 11 yrs to improve the thing and it's used on all new Boxsters and Caymans that have a lot more power than mine.
Too ridged for street use is unnecessary, and will be uncomfortable.
The new product has a bit lighter frame that is obvious. What they've done with the rubbery insert is anyone's guess.
If it was a 10 min job to replace it, I'd maybe experiment, but labor considered, I only want to do this once.

Bob

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #22

i guess what I"m t rying to figure out is whether a cayman / new boxster mount for $170-200 (whatever is costs) is the same/worse/better than Pedro'senthusiast mount, which is only $100 w/core - for an "enthusiast" type driver like me.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i guess what I"m t rying to figure out is whether a cayman / new boxster mount for $170-200 (whatever is costs) is the same/worse/better than Pedro'senthusiast mount, which is only $100 w/core - for an "enthusiast" type driver like me.
I'm holding the 987 Porsche mount in my hand right now and it's easy to see that there is a lot more rubbery meat in Pedro's product. That will likely equate to more engine vibration in the cockpit. We want to correct broken mount symptoms, not necessarily make it stiffer and cause other vibrations, etc. If my new mounts fails early, I may look into other alternatives then.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #24

Engine mounts are designed as a compromise, just like most components on a street car.

The greater the mount's ability to dampen vibration in the cabin, the more the engine is moving around under lateral acceleration or cornering loads, although the ride is comfortable.

If the mount is made solid, the engine doesn't move and therefore the car handles better at turn-in, less torque is lost lifting the motor under hard acceleration and gear change under heavy acceleration feels more precise. Downside is of course a harsher ride.

The decision really comes down to how hard you drive your car and what tolerance you have for vibration. The issue of the part's longevity is really secondary.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel R
Engine mounts are designed as a compromise, just like most components on a street car.

The greater the mount's ability to dampen vibration in the cabin, the more the engine is moving around under lateral acceleration or cornering loads, although the ride is comfortable.

If the mount is made solid, the engine doesn't move and therefore the car handles better at turn-in, less torque is lost lifting the motor under hard acceleration and gear change under heavy acceleration feels more precise. Downside is of course a harsher ride.

The decision really comes down to how hard you drive your car and what tolerance you have for vibration. The issue of the part's longevity is really secondary.
nice explanation. i think you pretty much nailed it. like many things with cars, it's all a trade off.

my Boxster is NOT my DD, so I'd by okay with some vibration in exchange for better turn in, shifting, etc. as long as it's not a "ton".... i need to find someone local who has one and go for a spin to see how "bad" the vibration reallhy is.....
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
nice explanation. i think you pretty much nailed it. like many things with cars, it's all a trade off.

my Boxster is NOT my DD, so I'd by okay with some vibration in exchange for better turn in, shifting, etc. as long as it's not a "ton".... i need to find someone local who has one and go for a spin to see how "bad" the vibration reallhy is.....
I'll let you know Friday after my Pedro racing mount is in. My car is my DD, so the results will be interesting.

If you happen to find yourself "Down Under" in the next week or two I would be happy to take you for a spin. ;-)
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #27

I don't know that you'll be happy with the racing mount in a daily driver. I have the enthusiast version and while the shifting is way better, the vibration is significant. I ended up pulling it out a couple weeks ago and drilling a few more holes in it. The vibration is reduced, but still there a little. Its a livable compromise for now.

Bobiam, to be honest, the install isnt that bad. I used jack stands and a scissor jack (with a 2x4) and I have it down to removed/drilled/installed in less than 1.5 hours. To me, it is better to have something liveable as opposed to long lasting, since I dont mind crawling under the car and working on it. If I hadn't drilled it out, I don't know that I could have lived with the vibration.
manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #28

On another note, Pedro is a super nice guy and makes good stuff. One of the rare guys you will find that is knowledgeable and easy to work with.
manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #29

+1 on Pedro being a great guy. It is rare to find an internet vendor with integrity, let alone one who is a nice guy as well. I will be a repeat customer, that is for certain.

Now I am doubting as to whether I have made the right choice going with the racing mount??? I will find out tomorrow I guess, and if it is too rough I suppose I can just drill the appropriate holes and re-install.

Will post tomorrow with my thoughts.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #30

Is this the "987 motor mount"?

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=98737502304&Category_Code=ENGMECH

Thanks!

Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Yep. In fact I have one right here waiting to be installed.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #32

Pedro's mount Vs OEM Go with Pedro!!

I installed one of Pedro's mounts and have been extremely happy with it.

Pedro is a great guy and is very helpful every step of the way.

I will most difinitely buy from him again!

Chris from California
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #33
JTP

The new GT3 has a no compromise 'Dynamic Engine Mount'. Pedro, can you fab some up for us?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
The new GT3 has a no compromise 'Dynamic Engine Mount'. Pedro, can you fab some up for us?
Because the GT3 (and all other 996s and 997s for that matter) have the engine backwards it's much easier to do than on a 986/987/C7.
Our engine is mounted with the flywheel facing back, the 911s have it facing forward.
That's why we only have one front engine mount, instead of two.
BTW, the life of an OEM mount is 45,000 miles.
I don't know how long my remanufactured mounts will go because I haven't received one back yet (broken).
The first one I made I installed in my car 112,000 miles ago .
I inspect it maybe twice a year, but haven't found any cracks yet.
The new mounts for the 987/C7 aren't really stronger, they're actually weaker, because they were made to absorb more vibration, hence they last less.
I also found a better compound for my remanufactured mounts.
The next generations will absorb better the engine vibration.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #35

I had to chuckle when I saw the 7 month old thread still going. Update, I installed the Pedro's Enthusiast Mount shortly after my initial post, I've been driving with it over 6 months now. Like everyone says, it transmits more vibration which is indeed noticeable but something you quickly get used to, nothing annoying or obnoxious. It fixed the thump, shifts are much more direct feeling, clutch feel is more consistent. Install was very straight forward and once again kudos to Pedro for being great to deal with. I'd buy his mount again in a heartbeat.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #36

Talking

I had my boxster in the indi shop for a front bumper replacement (looks great BTW), so I also had them install Pedros Enthusiast front motor mount. I was going to do it myself as a weekend project, but the shop already had the car up in the air. When I talked to Pedro, he said that their Enthusiast mount that they had on hand had a little harder compound that would transmit more vibration and that I may want to wait for the next batch of mounts made up with softer material.

Because my car was not going to be in the shop long, I went ahead and got the mount with the harder compound. Well, it may be the cold weather, or it might be the GT3 seats I have, or it might be the lightweight flywheel I have, probably a bit of all three. But there is a fair amount of vibration with the new mount. Car shifts better, no clunking that was going on before, thats all great. I will have to put some miles on it, especially some long trips to see how I settle in with it.

Its interesting, it makes you aware of just how much vibration is comming from the engine when it is more tightly coupled to the body. Makes it more clear why a dual mass flywheel or some mode of damping harmonics seems like a good idea. Also, its clear as others have said that a front mount on a car with 90K like mine was toast,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
When I talked to Pedro, he said that their Enthusiast mount that they had on hand had a little harder compound that would transmit more vibration and that I may want to wait for the next batch of mounts made up with softer material.

The new (better damping) compound is in.
I have a few of the improved mounts ready to ship and from now on all* of them will be remanufactured this way.
(*) except the full-racing version which will still use the harder compound for less HP loss.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
The next generations will absorb better the engine vibration
When will you start making/selling the new version?

[EDIT]
Due to the weird threading that the forum shows in hybrid mode, I didn't see pedro's comment about "from now on" they'll be manufactured with new material.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by lizBox; 12-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote