Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #1

Timing question

I have been fighting a PO341 code and missfire codes for bank 1. I removed the cam cover again yesterday and found that the timing appears to be 1/2 link out. I set the engine to TDC cyl1 and the dots on the camshaft line up with the bright links on 1 cam only, the other cam is 1/2 link out. I recently changed the varia cam solenoid as it was not working and unfortunetly did not notice the timing was out.
Hopefully the malfunctioning solenoid was the cause.??

Last edited by suburban99; 03-29-2009 at 06:47 AM.
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon

which cam had the teeth aligned with the dots??? Intake or exhaust?
You should have 7 complete teeth between the dots.

I have had that same code when I had one or more coil packs malfunctioning.. Just had that happen today on the dyno.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 03-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #3

Exhaust was lined up with the dot in centre of bright link. Intake was 1/2 link out.

Removed intake camshaft and camshaft tensioner and found the camshaft slide on the bottom of the tensioner only had about 1/2 left.

Also there is a rub mark on the tensioner from camshaft chain rubbing it. I believe camshaft chain got caught and skipped 1/2 link. That would probably throw the timing for the camshaft position sensor off. This could also cause my rough idle, and missfire codes.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Engine Surgeon

Been there.. ALWAYS pay close attention to the intake, since it is so easy to skip a link when installing the vario cam arrangement.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Been there.. ALWAYS pay close attention to the intake, since it is so easy to skip a link when installing the vario cam arrangement.
Do you have any tips for installing the Vario Cam and intake camshaft while engine is in car? I did not remove the exhaust camshaft or disturb the timing chain. Hopefully I can "swing" the Varia Cam and intake camshaft back in...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Engine Surgeon

Its a pain to work with.. The best thing I can recommend is allocating the cams on the bench properly and then use zip ties to hold the chains in place absolutely during reinstall.
Do the work @ TDC#1 always.

When I disassemble this arrangement in the car I etch index marks on every chain and sprocket and I zip tie the exhaust cam drive sprocket to the timing chain.

Disassembly is a huge part of reassembly...
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #7

So if I understand correctly you remove the timing chain sprocket from the exhaust camshaft and take the exhaust camshaft out of car as well.

You have etched lines where the timing chain sprocket is on the exhaust camshaft and zip tie the timing chain to the timing gear that bolts to the exhaust camshaft by 4 bolts.

Then bench orientate both camshafts and Varia Cam...then install both camshafts together with varia cam. Release Varia cam hold down bolt and re install timing chain that was previuosly etch marked to the exact position it was.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #8

Got new to me varia cam installed...not a job for the faint of heart...cams are back in and will put cover back on tomorrow.
Marked timing gears and oil pump drive with an electric engraver to ensure timing marks were aligned.
Kept pressure on timing gear with a bungee cord..Very tedious work.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Engine Surgeon

It is very tedious... I rent the tools to make it easier next time... With a DVD on the procedure to come soon!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #10

Started car today. No CEL and car idles like a dream.
Thanks for your comments Jake.

As these cars get more affordable and more people like me buy them Forums like this are invaluable.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
As these cars get more affordable and more people like me buy them Forums like this are invaluable.
Exactly...

Thats why we are working so hard to get information available for Enthusiast consumption.

The cars are not hard to work on, if you have the proper tools and information.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #12

I see more and more Porsches being driven by guys like me..."joe average". I researched the cars before I bought, bought one at a fire sale price and dealt or am dealing with the issues. I have repaired the heater, power top, radio, engine mount, and fixed the engine on this car. I bought the car for weekends and have other vehicles should it not be drivable. These are fun cars to drive!