Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #1

Dyno Results : Dansk Sports Muffler on Boxster S

Just got back from the dyno today. Results as follows :

Horsepower (at the wheels)
Base run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Tequipment Sports Muffler : 234bhp @ 6,472rpm
Run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Dansk Sports Muffler :
239.6bhp @ 6,472rpm
Gain : 5.7bhp at about 6,500rpm

Torque (at the wheels)
Base run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Tequipment Sports Muffler :
138.4kg/m @ 4841rpm
Run with Dansk headers/Dansk Sports Cat/Dansk Sports Muffler :
139.5kg/m @ 4927rpm
Gain : 1.1kg/m at about 4,900rpm

The fuel used for all dyno is 100 Octane as this is available from most pumps locally.

Bad news :
- Overall torque loss below 4,800rpm. As much as 2kg/m at about 3,200rpm
- Overall minor bhp loss below 4,800. About 1bhp at times, no big deal.
- Major resonance at 2,500rpm which equates to 60mph at 5th gear (tip). This is cruising speed which can be annoying and probably will be.

Good news :
- Overall torque and bhp gain above 4,800rpm
- Weight savings, see below

Points to note :
1) You will require 2 U joints (left and right cat) for the connection between the cat and the muffler. The original connectors can't be used. This can be seen in the 2nd photo.

2) You'll need to re-use the u pipe that connects the cat to the muffler. This can also be seen in the 2nd photo.

3) A bit of wrestling to get the exhaust centered. Will be tough to DIY. I didn't.

4) I forgot to request for torque figures in lb/ft format. So for those who know who to convert, please help.

5) There's some discrepancy bet my last dyno run and the supposedly base line reference run today. For those to noticed, my previous run is supposed to be 231.2bhp and not 234bhp as reflected here. I'll find out when I next visit the shop but will be in 2 week's time.

The weights are :

Tequipment Muffler : 41.9lbs
Dansk Sport Muffler : 26.5lbs

I'm told reliably that this is the exhaust that is also sold by Fabspeed and Evo.

I don't like the sound. The unique 'howl' produced by the Tequipment sports exhaust is gone, replaced by a somewhat deep growl much like that of a modified Jap import Also, given the gains are mostly in the upper rpm range, normal driving will suffer from lower torque. For those that frequent the track, you'll benefit from it. I go like once in 6 months so.....

Overall, I'm not too happy with the results, especially since I paid US$180 to get the thing shipped to me here from US. Damn

Last edited by clubhead; 02-04-2005 at 01:51 AM.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 AM   #2

Talking

I don't think I would be too happy with your results either. I took a 100 miles trip in one of my S Boxes yesterday and was listening to Mozart and the exhaust note at 80 mph. Could not decide which one sounded better!

I would hate to have that Japanese "fart can" sound on a Boxster.

Can you get a refund? Just kidding!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Lux

Clubhead, thanks for the report.

Sucks that the torque dropped on you. I had a feeling that would happen. You actually need a certain amount of backpressure for torque. And you're absolutely right...hp up on top is great for the racer, but for the street torque is king (especially in a place like Singapore).
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #4

You dont happen to be planning on selling the Tequipment muffler? If you are I would be interested.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos
You dont happen to be planning on selling the Tequipment muffler? If you are I would be interested.
I'm considering putting the Tequipment muffler back...
Old 02-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #6

Thats what I thought you would do since your results were not favorable. I thought I would give it a shot.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos
Thats what I thought you would do since your results were not favorable. I thought I would give it a shot.
I'm intending to wait till after I put in the Powerflow air filter kit to decide. This will probably be 2-3 weeks time. I'm hoping that the increase air flow will result in higher torque in the lower rpm range.... I hope.

But in anycase, given that I'm in Asia, you probably would not want to incur the shipping charges to get this to you in US. There's a couple of Tequipment on ebay going at very reasonable prices, like about US$1k. You may want to check those out instead....