Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #1

Aft edge of top coming loose...

How do you reattach the back edge of the top?

Mine has started to slip out of the frame that sits just under the clam shell and as a result the rear window is sagging. Overall my top is in good shape, so I'm not ready to do a full replacement and would prefer to repair this myself.

Anyone else have this problem and able to fix it?

Last edited by Lucky; 02-10-2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #2

The same thing happened to me. Download these instructions and follow steps 8, 12, and 16. I had to experiment with the tension so the top does not rub against the clamshell edge and squeak while driving. When that happens it's enough to drive you insane.

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Timothy,

Thanks!! That guide you linked is very helpful. I'll start with removing the first strip of weather sealing/stripping and see whats going on... I hope it is as simple as refreshing the double-sided tape underneath.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #4

Timothy, I think you may have inadvertently led me to discover my squeak that is so annoying I want to drive my car off a cliff. Its only with the top up and it's behind my head somewhere. I could not figure out what was causing it but I'm going to try the adjustments found in the PDF you linked to above.

Timothy, did you actually replace your top yourself? I'd love to save the $$$ and do it myself this summer sometime but I was afraid I'd screw it up royally.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Timothy, I think you may have inadvertently led me to discover my squeak that is so annoying I want to drive my car off a cliff. Its only with the top up and it's behind my head somewhere. I could not figure out what was causing it but I'm going to try the adjustments found in the PDF you linked to above.

Timothy, did you actually replace your top yourself? I'd love to save the $$$ and do it myself this summer sometime but I was afraid I'd screw it up royally.
I only reattached the rear flap as Lucky described. Your description sounds very much like what plagued me. First verify the source by looking at how the top moves with respect to the clam shell when you push on the body and top from different angles to simulate bumpy roads and parking garage ramps. If you can park angled on a ramp, all the better. I didn't try this but it might help: if the two look close, slip a microfiber towel between and see if that quiets the noise while driving. In theory that would provide a buffer much like an intermediate liner sock help prevent blisters while hiking. It actually took me a few tries to get the top tension just right but you will catch on quickly.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:38 AM   #6

Garage
Sorry to resurrect this thread but wanted to know if anybody could revive the link as it will solve the problem I have with the rear of my roof becoming loose..?

Cheers in advance and fingers crossed.

Si.

SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote