Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Best Alignment specs for Stock 'S' suspension?

I'm taking my car in for it's first alignment at the end of the week and I was wondering what is the most aggressive alignment specs I can ask the shop to target on my stock 'S' suspension?

Thanks for any responses.

Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhamr
I'm taking my car in for it's first alignment at the end of the week and I was wondering what is the most aggressive alignment specs I can ask the shop to target on my stock 'S' suspension?

Thanks for any responses.

The alignment you need/want is totally dependent on how you plan on using the car. I think you need to clarify that a bit. By aggressive do you mean you'll use it for autocross and track work or do you just want an aggressive street setup. Do you care about tire wear?

If you don't care about tire wear and want the most aggressive setup (overkill for the street), then I would give the shop these simple directions:

Maximum camber in the front while still maintaining zero toe.

Maximum camber in the back with slight toe in (I think it's about 1/16" total toe in that's recommended).

The shop should be able to get about -1.5 degrees camber in the front and -2.0 degrees in the rear with a stock suspension. This will increase tire wear on the inside of the tire (uneven wear), but will give you the best handling response.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Use RoW Sport setting.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned about tire wear, but hopefully not replacing them every summer. I'm only hoping to make about 3 or 4 casual track days this summer and perhaps try an autocross, so it's more of an aggressive street alignment I guess.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

For track work, I'd tell the alignment tech to set front to max negative camber, with both sides equal. And then to set the rear to 0.5 to 0.8 degrees more than the front. Toe at both ends to 0.

You should end up with front at -0.5 to -0.7 and rear in the -1.0 to -1.5 range.

Adjustability of every car varies slightly, so you won't know how far you can go until your car is on the rack.

What tires are you using on track? R compound? If so, most DOT R tires love negative camber...
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #6

My alignment was as good as they could get it. Unfortunately zero camber is maxed out on the front. I see a PSS9 setup and camber plates in my future this spring. Opinions always welcome...informed or not.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #7

I am going in today to get an alignment. Based on tire wear, it looks like I have good rear camber. I want to increase my front camber to increase turn-in.

I wonder if I will get anywhere with stock suspension based on the results Darkhamr got.

I will post what I get out of it.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #8

I went in yesterday and told them that I wanted to reduce understeer, increase turn-in and that I do not care about tire wear. I am taking the very long way to the tax man today to see how it tracks and turns. Note the increased camber in the front.

Last edited by eVoMotion; 04-04-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #9

Update on my alignment. WOW!!! The car feels completely different turning and cornering. I am very impressed. Definitely turns more easily, quickly and feels more stable. I can easily push it a great deal more.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #10

The front camber they got was great! What year is the car? Rear camber is too much negative. What you started with was better. 2 degrees negative will reduce bite on corner exit and make the car a little squirelly under hard high speed braking. Also be aware of greater potential for snap oversteer on power exits or trail braking entrances.

Also with the rear toed out combined with lots of negative rear camber you may see more tire wear than you would like.

In any event that is certainly an agressive street alignment. I would be careful with the car at high cornering speeds such as in a DE. But assuming you drive within your limits it should be a fun alignment for the street.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #11

The car is an 02S.
I am wondering about the rear camber as well.
I said that I did want to improve rear rotation.
I said that I probably would not do any track days, more autocrosses.
I have not had a great deal to try it out yet.
I have not experienced any oversteer in this car prior to the alignment. I could never get the rear to really move at all. I appreciate driving through the side window more than pushing the front.
On the way to/from work I have a huge 40-65mph 360 turn off the freeway that I usually play on.
I say I am not concerned with tire wear as I assume I buy a new set a year, but will be watching this closely to see how fast I see wear.
I am going out to an autocross this weekend.

What is your experience based on?

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
The front camber they got was great! What year is the car? Rear camber is too much negative. What you started with was better. 2 degrees negative will reduce bite on corner exit and make the car a little squirelly under hard high speed braking. Also be aware of greater potential for snap oversteer on power exits or trail braking entrances.

Also with the rear toed out combined with lots of negative rear camber you may see more tire wear than you would like.

In any event that is certainly an agressive street alignment. I would be careful with the car at high cornering speeds such as in a DE. But assuming you drive within your limits it should be a fun alignment for the street.