Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Header recommendation

I have a 2000 5 speed manual Boxster 2.7 with 19k miles. It currently has a B&B Tri-Flo exhaust. However, B&B doesn't offer any performance headers. Their e-mailed explanation:

The 97-99 Boxster had a separate pipe between the headers and exhaust
with the cats in them while the 2000 and up Boxsters have cats built
into the manifolds therefore we did not design a header for this. From
what I understand the early headers will fit the 2000 and up model
however it will eliminate the cats and take you out of EPA compliance. I
hope this clears up your question and invite you to get back in touch
with me if you have any additional ones.

As I am not all that concerned about EPA compliance, I am looking for some advice. Is there a forum-recommended brand or size of headers that is preferred? Is it recommended to do a cat bypass in addition to, or should one leave one set in place?

Thanks in advance for your help.

B

bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #2

I have TTP headers and high-flow cats on my 2.7 Boxster which I like a lot, but they are very expensive. I think I would recommend the Fabspeed header with sport cats, you could then bypass the second bank of cats with their bypass pipes.

In my experience, the headers added some sound, especially at high rpm's, but it was less than I thought. The indi shop I was using said in their experience a header/cat rig on a 2.7L would not give much of an increase in hp.

That was my experience, I think it was 5-7hp increase on the dyno, something like that. Also in my case I was chasing CEL lights for about six months after we installed the new exhaust system. I have resolved the CEL issue but it was a quite a pain at the time,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Search is your friend. Here is one related topic.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170470#post170470
There are dozens more.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #4

Fabspeeds are considered some of the best. I would try to find a header that still has an integrated cat. Chronic check engine light issues are common if those cats are deleted. Here is a pic of the fabspeeds. The other cats can be deleted without any issues.

Last edited by Adam; 01-22-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

I have the maxspeed motorsports on mine. They include the cats and they are 800$. Not as pretty as the fabspeed, but i dont look at them much anyway. Performace is great, sound is awsome. I have the fabspeed cat delete pipes after that.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Search is your friend. Here is one related topic.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170470#post170470
There are dozens more.
Thanks, but all I saw was one brief mention of headers (no specifics), and a lot of talk on tires and superchargers. Not much help there.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
I have the maxspeed motorsports on mine. They include the cats and they are 800$. Not as pretty as the fabspeed, but i dont look at them much anyway. Performace is great, sound is awsome. I have the fabspeed cat delete pipes after that.
James
Thanks a lot! This was what I was looking for. I did find a local guy that specializes in Porsche performance mods, and he had recommended the Fabspeed as well. I was a little taken back by the $2,265 price tag on them. $800 - $1k is a little easier to swallow.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
James

What exhaust do you have? I am seriously thinking about doing the NHP headers with secondary bypass pipes, but I want to keep my original PSE in place. Just cannot replace that exhaust as it looks and sounds awesome, even with my oem setup. Have you ever posted and sound clips? Would love to hear them.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #9

I have a 2.7 base. would adding teh maxspeed system or a fabspeed system - the one that still retains at least ONE set of cats - REALLY make any more power/torque? i mean, I don';t care what a dyno says - i just wnder if when I am cruising along and decide to push the car and run it through the revs - am I going to really feel more power? or is it really hardly detectible, and it will just sound cool.

I do have to admit, when I first bought my boxster, I swore I had no interest in exhaust or headers. now that i've had the car a few months, and have seen all the youtube videos of guys with exhausts - now I think I want one.

I toyed with the idea of the pedro sport exhaust - cheap and something I could do at a custom muffler shop - but the videos I heard of it - didn't sound as good as the video I heard of the maxspeed or fabspeed systems...

i also don't want a lot of resonance. resonating exhausts make your ears hurt. i've been there done that on a past car and I don't want any part of that. i don't mind loud when I am on the gas hard - and I don't mind increased volume, and deepnes..but that resonance that makes your ears feel like they are going to start bleeding, and your head throb.. no thanks.

does the maxspeed and/or fabspeed systems really make any power?

gien how expensive some of these exhaust systems are i swear it would make more sense to just sell my base and put the money toward a boxster S!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #10

I have the CHI muffler. if i had a choice i would have the PSE because the headers and the cat delete witht he chi muffler sounds like a GT3 race car. not too loud but for example when reves are brought to 5-6K and then take your foot off the pedal, the muffler crackes and pops like a strait pipe.

a little bit loud for the general public. I will post some sound clips if you want, what is the best way to record them?
james
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #11

you would want the PSE meaning Porsche Sport Exhaust or the Pedro Sport Exhaust...

i get the impression that in design they are very similar...only the Pedro setup is FAR FAR cheaper..

the video of the maxspeed exhasut sounds pretty cool to me.. i also saw a video on youtube of a 2.7 with a RUF system and it sounded AMAZING
Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
you would want the PSE meaning Porsche Sport Exhaust or the Pedro Sport Exhaust...

i get the impression that in design they are very similar...only the Pedro setup is FAR FAR cheaper..

the video of the maxspeed exhasut sounds pretty cool to me.. i also saw a video on youtube of a 2.7 with a RUF system and it sounded AMAZING
I would assume he is talking about the Eisenmann built original PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) sold under the Tequipment badge. That is what i have, but want to add bypass pipes and headers.

Jhandy, if you have one of the newer compact cameras, most have a video function. You can use that, then upload the video to youtube.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #13

I am running the TurboWerx headers with the FabSpeed exhaust. Yes, I am catless. This is fine (well, without the environmental concerns) if you flash your DME with the RoW program which removes the catalyst efficiency monitoring.

A lot of guys are running the "Chinese headers," which are, as far as I can tell, essentially copies of the TurboWerx. If you are going to keep the North American DME program I would recommend going with the FabSpeed headers as these keep you legal and will not result in the car throwing codes.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I am running the TurboWerx headers with the FabSpeed exhaust. Yes, I am catless. This is fine (well, without the environmental concerns) if you flash your DME with the RoW program which removes the catalyst efficiency monitoring.

A lot of guys are running the "Chinese headers," which are, as far as I can tell, essentially copies of the TurboWerx. If you are going to keep the North American DME program I would recommend going with the FabSpeed headers as these keep you legal and will not result in the car throwing codes.
Who would I talk to for a reflash to Row standard programing? I have heard of this being done, but can my local Porsche dealer do it or is their someone else out there that can?

That would be the cat's ass as the whole CEL thing would bug me to death and I just cannot see the $2200 value assigned to the fabspeed headers...F1 design or not...I mean come on, they look great, but damn that's just too pricey unless you would gain 25hp or better with that mod alone..Turbowerx makes great stuff...Thx, Jon

Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #15

I live in CA and every two years you have to smog the car - they physically look at the engine - although ona boxster thye basically just take the top cover off and eyeball it really quickly.. but they do tailipipe sniffer tests.

going catless would not be an option unless you are willing to R&R every two years...kind of a PITA...

what header system would be "economical", retain some type of cat to avoid going off the charts for emissions, and actually make some power you could feel?

anyone in CA put on headers and PASS a real smog test? if so let me know what you're running.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
I live in CA and every two years you have to smog the car - they physically look at the engine - although ona boxster thye basically just take the top cover off and eyeball it really quickly.. but they do tailipipe sniffer tests.

going catless would not be an option unless you are willing to R&R every two years...kind of a PITA...

what header system would be "economical", retain some type of cat to avoid going off the charts for emissions, and actually make some power you could feel?

anyone in CA put on headers and PASS a real smog test? if so let me know what you're running.
I am glad I live in TN. No problems here as of yet, however, I feel for you guys out in CA...way too much regulatory red tape these days...I am surprised that they even allow combustion petroleum engines there anymore...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #17

Quote:

I ran a headers similar to the design used by the cheap chinese headers on ebay with stock rear cats and passed smog twice. The second time, it was a PITA as my car kept throwing codes. I never figured out why, but it stayed clear just long enough to pass.

Now I have the NTP headers with Fabspeed rear cat delete. I haven't had to get smogged yet, so I don't know whether it would pass the sniff test. I'm still throwing codes, so there are other issues that I'll need to figure out this summer.

As for horsepower, you may or may not feel the difference, but you'll hear a mild difference and it'll sound like you making more power. Personally, for a daily driver I liked having headers with the stock exhaust and a cold air intake. There was more sound when you pressed on it, but it did not drone.

Now with the cheap chinese / Maxspeed muffler, NTP header and CAI, the car drones like mad at highway speed. Granted, I don't have any carpet or insulation inside the car right now, so it's worse in my car. I have a 2000 S, so YMMV.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #18

I was thinking of the NHP headers with the 200 cell cats, the cat bypass mid pipes, and my current B&B Tri-Flo exhaust. Does anyone know if this will cause a droning problem?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Who would I talk to for a reflash to Row standard programing? I have heard of this being done, but can my local Porsche dealer do it or is their someone else out there that can?

Anybody have an answer? BMW750?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Anybody have an answer? BMW750?
bump on that one....I would love to get turbowerx headers and fabspeed bypass pipes with no worries over an aggravating CEL on the dash...

Please let us know who to talk to on this one BMW750...