Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Torn Axle Boot 2000 Boxster

Hi All,

Following is a picture of my torn boot.

Torn Boot Porsche Boxster

I had to replace the crimp on the passenger side when it became loose. I had ordered a boot and thought I was going to replace the whole boot and 2 new clamps. However, If my memory serves me correctly I could not get the axle apart to replace the new boot.

Does anyone have any good instructions on taking the axle apart to replace the boot? I can get the axle out just not apart. Or do I have to break down and put a new axle in? This is the driver side rear axle if it make any difference.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

try these links:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62514&highlight=joint+%2Aassembly

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222537

http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm

I also highly suggest you replace both boots once the axle is out. Inspect the other axle closely, those boots are probably close to needing replacing too.

Last edited by tommy986; 12-28-2008 at 08:12 PM.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #3

If you have had the axle out, you've done the hardest part. When you unbolt the CV joint from the differential (the 6 cap head bolts, of which you can see 3 in your pic), look at the side of the CV that was against the diff. There's a domed metal cap over the CV joint there that you'll need to pry off. Once it's off, you'll see a large "C" clip on the end of the axle that will have to come off. Once it's off, the axle will slide out of the CV joint, and then you can remove the inner and outer boots.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the lead on the pelican site. I knew I should have looked for a forum early than I did. Everyone has been a great help. I'll be able to fix this no sweat now.

Thanks!!!

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote