Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #1

Garage
The f#@!*'ng top

Hello everyone....I have a question for the toolheads here.

I've been reading for the past couple of days the info regarding the convertible top, I've visited Toolpants reference and basically I have been thru the same headaches everybody else....

I'm at the point where my top opens and closes as planned, however now the "clamshell", once the top closes and settles the ball end from the driver's side slider pops out. Initially was doing it when the car flexed (either by a road bump or by enering the driveway sideways) now as soon it closes, it pops out.

I had all the previous mishaps and fortunately overcame them, this last niggle, however had me scratching my head. Could it be just a matter of realigning the trannys or there might be something else I'm overlooking....

Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 AM   #2

Just a guess....

If it is the part I'm thinking of (wire cord w/plastic shielding and grey metal ball end), I believe that cord ends up under tension when the top is closed. There is some form of friction or circlip retention inside the ball end that keeps the part on the post/nipple that it mates with. Two ideas:

1) have you checked to see that the part feels like it is engaging firmly? I have had trouble getting them on before, as it was so tight. There is a clear "snap" when the part goes on properly. I would expect that if the part(s) became worn then the retention would be reduced and might pop off. Also, if the post were bent instead of being straight out, that might affect the retention.

2) I know this may be obvious, but have you reviewed the routing on both sides against one another? Is the one staying on differently routed?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #3

Are you talking about the tension cable with a ball joint on each end?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for your reply, however the ball end and slider clip I'm talking about is the one that controls the movement of the boot cover.... once the top is in place, the boot cover slides in and the driver's side arm pops out of the slider clip.....I'm trying to attach the photo of it....

[IMG]pict0023[/IMG]

"I am who I am, your approval isn't required" - Jack Nicholson

Last edited by Pablito; 01-11-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote