Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

M96 Article. Way to go Jake!

Jake, I got my copy of Excellence last night and enjoyed your contributions and photos to the article written about our pitiful motors. How very sad ... Porsche really skimped on motor design for the first water cooled engines.

Part of me is excited about upgrading from my 2.5 to a much larger displacement one day on a Raby rebuild... and the other part of me dreads having to make that decision and shell out more than my car's value for a new motor.

It will be a hard decision if I ever have to make it. My car is on its 2nd motor, replaced just before I purchased the car.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Engine Surgeon

Thanks VERY much!! Make sure that all of you express your feelings about the article to the Excellence staff as there may be more articles on performance engines in the future if this article goes over big!

Remember: Our engines are not "rebuilt" they are upgraded and are better after our procedures than they ever were from the factory... Assembled by a single individual and then dyno proven.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Thanks VERY much!! Make sure that all of you express your feelings about the article to the Excellence staff as there may be more articles on performance engines in the future if this article goes over big!

Remember: Our engines are not "rebuilt" they are upgraded and are better after our procedures than they ever were from the factory... Assembled by a single individual and then dyno proven.
Jake, I've followed your work in multiple forums over the past several months.

While no fan of Porsche's IMS-timebombs (among other issues), I have a simple question for you:
What kind of longevity tests are done on your engines? Do you provide any warranty on your complete engines (e.g. the 2yr warranty by Porsche on reman engines)?

Just curious, and I hope my interest remains casual -- I'd hate to be looking for an engine for my boxster!

PS: I don't subscribe to Excellence - is your article available online/elsewhere? Thanks!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Jake, I have a 2.5 but would much rather upgrade to a 3.6 conversion of a 3.4 motor.

Will you be offering this with some sort of core credit on a non-matching motor?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Jake, I've followed your work in multiple forums over the past several months.
Thanks!

Quote:
While no fan of Porsche's IMS-timebombs (among other issues), I have a simple question for you:
What kind of longevity tests are done on your engines?
We are testing the technology daily in field test vehicles and will also be employing the technology into a Boxster used for endurance racing in 2009 that will see 12 and 24 hour events.

We have been working on this program for 3 years, so there is only so much that could be completed int hat amount of time. The first 2.5 years of the program was only associated with testing. While we only have 3 years of testing in the processes, thats 3 years more than anyone else!

I am known in the Aircooled world for an excellent developmental and testing program. I have an in house lab where we complete test work for our components as well as for other companies and this lab is outfitted with two engine dynos as well as a Chassis dyno. Attached you will see my Race-Technology DL-2 data logger, another item that we can apply to engines during R&D tests, chassis dyno tests and also employ in the test vehicle during field testing. It couples OBDII data ogging along with 16 more channels of input to tell us everything about the engine that we'd ever need to know in real time and as data logs.

I have been testing components for the automotive market for 15 years, before that I tested components for Military Aircraft. I apply common sense OFAT testing with determination in search of the results we are after.

In fact the ONLY reason I began working with the M96 was for the challenge it offers and the opportunity to develop it into a real performer, just like I did with the 914 engine. These reasons are why Excellence came to us for the information for their article, they know from my past experienceds and accomplishments just how determined we are and what capabilities we have.

Quote:
Do you provide any warranty on your complete engines (e.g. the 2yr warranty by Porsche on reman engines)?
Yes. Our warranty is based from the Porsche warranty. It has some other mandates and exclusions that the Porsche warranty does not. My version is much more clear and boldly states what is covered, what is not and the variables that can impact the warranty.

I have two different versions, one for engines that we install, chassis dyno tune and field test here at our facility and another for engines that are shipped away to be installed by other "shops".

Every engine that we complete will be ran under our control, in the dyno cell for 8-12 hours under the watchful eye of yours truly. Porsche re-man engines are not dyno proven and many are never even test fired prior to being delivered. Our process omits the break in process, meaning it can be driven as hard as you'd like right out of the crate.

Our goal is not to have issues that require a warranty. Warrantys are often times guilty of providing a false sense of security for the purchaser and nothing more as the hassles and red tape required to actually nothing but a headache.

I see people all the time who abuse Warrantys and I have taken the proper steps to ensure that my company will never suffer losses due to someone's abuse of a warranty. I approach this subject both fairly and firmly, as the Owner of the Company.

rest assured that we are pouring EVERY ounce of energy we can into this program and we are going to great lengths to avoid ANY failed engines. The program is new and is applied to a very problematic engine and we know that a single failure is all that it will take to compromise the future of the entire effort. We are not taking any risks at all. Each engine we sell is worth a million dollars to us because of this.

Quote:
Just curious, and I hope my interest remains casual -- I'd hate to be looking for an engine for my boxster!
I understand and appreciate your interest and concerns!

Quote:
PS: I don't subscribe to Excellence - is your article available online/elsewhere? Thanks!
No, the material is copyright protected so it won't be posted online. You should go purchase a mag from a local news stand if you'd like to see the article.

Quote:
Jake, I have a 2.5 but would much rather upgrade to a 3.6 conversion of a 3.4 motor.

Will you be offering this with some sort of core credit on a non-matching motor?
Yes, we can offer some credit for these types of instances. BUT we are working to enhance the 2.5 and 3.7 engines for the earlier cars and gain performance from them so the hassles of a conversion are not needed for most users.

Conversions add complexity and they are more expensive. Our 2.9liter engine can be created from either a 2.5 or 2.7 986 base engine.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Jake,
great article!
There was a mention in the article about testing motor oils in the Boxster motor.
Do you have any recommendations?

thanks

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote