Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

CEL on after replacing MAF

I was having issues with my 1998 Boxster (81K) losing power and stumbling at about 5100 RPMs. I have an EVO intake installed, and understand that the mass airflow sensor may get soiled since the EVO intake uses an oiled air filter. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor (MAF), and there was no change in performance. After reading the posts on this site and the renntech site, I determined that replacing the MAF was needed, and I found one for less than $200 delivered (as opposed to $588 at the dealer). The repair was simple and took about 15 minutes. There was an immediate change in the performance, and the car began running great right away. However, after running one day, the CEL light came back on. I disconnected the battery to reset it, and the light was off for a day and then came back on. The car is still running great and pulls strong to the red line, but the CEL is still on. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas.

Ben

bencomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Ben, drop on over to Autozone and have the code read and report back.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

New MAF adjusted after about a week

The day after I posted the original post, the MAF apparently adjusted, and the CEL light went out. It took driving the car for about a week before the light finally went out. If it reappears, I will get the codes checked. Thanks.

Ben
bencomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencomer
The day after I posted the original post, the MAF apparently adjusted, and the CEL light went out. It took driving the car for about a week before the light finally went out. If it reappears, I will get the codes checked. Thanks.

Ben
I believe you need 3 driving cycles for the CEL to go out after the fix is complete (without using a scan tool).

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #5

Steps to getting into the Engine compartment

I just bought a 1998 Boxster.. and i have to clean the MAS.. so I know I can do it.. I just don't know anything about these cars.. I know this is going to sound weird.. but how do you let into the Engine compartment..
wmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmstone
I just bought a 1998 Boxster.. and i have to clean the MAS.. so I know I can do it.. I just don't know anything about these cars.. I know this is going to sound weird.. but how do you let into the Engine compartment..
The engine is right behind you so you must get to it from the top.
You open the roof until it's about 10" out. open up the long leather pouch sitting behind the seats and undo the little plastic tigh-down (1/4 turn).
Then you get out of the car and look into the area at the base of the soft top. there you will see some lining attached to a plastic rail that is clipped to the car. Unclip it, then un-hook the 2 tension cables that are located on each side, from the soft top to the body of the car. the top can now be pushed up towards the seats to uncover the carpet cover. Twist the 4 masssive plastic clips and lift up the carpet. then twist and turn all the brass-colored screws holding the plastic cover and remove it. Voila! the engine bay and one 2.5l engine.
There are how-to's with pics somewhere on the net (seen it)

good luck with the cryptic intructions. I hope it helps!

Michael
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 AM   #7

First go here:
http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

You can get all the manuals you need, including a owners manual.