Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #1

Garage
Does aftermarket Catback Exhaust require computer reset?

I have read that if you install an engine-back exhaust you should disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to allow the the computer to adjust to the new system. Should I also do the same for just an install of a catback muffler? Its a Topspeed on a 2002 S.

Thanks in advanced.

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986
I have read that if you install an engine-back exhaust you should disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to allow the the computer to adjust to the new system. Should I also do the same for just an install of a catback muffler? Its a Topspeed on a 2002 S.

Thanks in advanced.
Yes, pretty much any mods you make, inake/exhaust/engine-wise, you should reset the ECU in this way, and allow the computer to adjust to the new airflow. Drive it hard, and it will adapt to a more aggressive driving style. I've also noticed these cars are very temperature sensitive, so driving during the cold (usually at night time here compared to in the day time when it is hot out) makes a pretty notable difference in how fast the car performs/feels.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Engine Surgeon

Any engine will make more power when operated in colder more dense air compared to hotter and more dry air. Air inlet temps are a determining factor to engine output, just like humidity and elevation, all things combined create the relative air density.

From what we have noted, the Motronic ECU is VERY SMART and can compensate and "Learn" alot without reprogramming or flashing. I have seen much bigger engine changes than an exhaust with no need to reflash the ECU...

More power might be made, and it might not... Bolt on the exhaust and see what it does.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

Garage
Ok, so I bolted on the exhaust and went for a run. It sounds amazing, with just a little bit of resonance only when I punch it while I am in the 2k to 3k range. If I am just giving an even amount of throttle in that range, I really dont hear any. It does seem like the car is a little bit slower and not as responsive. I am going to run it for a week or so and see if the computer adjusts. If I dont notice a difference, I will reset the computer and see if it can adjust to the new changes. Has anyone else noticed this?
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986
Ok, so I bolted on the exhaust and went for a run. It sounds amazing, with just a little bit of resonance only when I punch it while I am in the 2k to 3k range. If I am just giving an even amount of throttle in that range, I really dont hear any. It does seem like the car is a little bit slower and not as responsive. I am going to run it for a week or so and see if the computer adjusts. If I dont notice a difference, I will reset the computer and see if it can adjust to the new changes. Has anyone else noticed this?
I felt something similar... Then I reset the ECU, and ran it hard... Felt faster after the ecu reset... I'd give that a try asap!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote