Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Headlight trouble

Hi everyone!

The low beam of me 2001 left headlight stopped working. Changed the bulb, checked the fuse. Still not working. Does anyone know this problem?

Frank

miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #2

Make sure you are replacing the correct bulb because high and low are the same.

Then check the male connector and make sure it does not move when you push on it.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

Question Related question

Tool pants, my left high beam won't come on or flash. My low beam is fine. Any insight ? Also if the connector works a bit loose would this be causing my problem?

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #4

The male connector is secured to the headlight mounting plate with a yellow clip, and once in a while that clip breaks. The male connector needs to securely mate to the female connector on the back of the headlight when you shove the headlight in and lock it, or some of the bulbs will not work. That is because the male connector gets pushed away if the clip is broken.

Check to see f the clip is broken. Compare how tight the connector is on one side with the other.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #5

Headlight trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The male connector is secured to the headlight mounting plate with a yellow clip, and once in a while that clip breaks. The male connector needs to securely mate to the female connector on the back of the headlight when you shove the headlight in and lock it, or some of the bulbs will not work. That is because the male connector gets pushed away if the clip is broken.

Check to see f the clip is broken. Compare how tight the connector is on one side with the other.

So in fact it's moving. Can you get the clip separately? And oh, what I learned for the price of $40: Don't touch the corner reflector while pulling the unit... It WILL break :-(
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #6

You can buy just the clip.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #7

Light tray replacement

Tool Pants, I am going to have to replace the yellow connector and the entire tray that holds it in place. Is this a DIY job I can do at home or would you recommend a shop or dealer do the task?

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote