Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The car has a transaxle that has to be in a fairly specific location, which limits the length of the engine between the firewall and flywheel. The engine bay was sized for a very low profile H6, which limit's the engine's overall height. Anything is possible, I've seen V8s in 914s, but it's not a simple job. But this is not a chassis that will be friendly to engine swaps like a taller/longer V8 or a longer I6 or V6. The front engine Porsches will always be better candidates for an engine swap.
Ive done the 914 V8 thing, still have it. It's very easy as conversions go. Except for electronics, and the availability of engine to trans adapters, the Boxster does not seem to be any bigger challenge really.

Boxsterund914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsterund914
Ive done the 914 V8 thing, still have it. It's very easy as conversions go. Except for electronics, and the availability of engine to trans adapters, the Boxster does not seem to be any bigger challenge really.
Compare that to installing a V8 in a 944.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsterund914
I was actually using this thread to inquire about performance modifications.....Boxsters on the move... not Boxstas from da hood
It seems like it would make perfect sense to locate and purchase an early 986, if all it had were tired mechanicals, but a serviceable interior and and virgin sheetmetal, for somewhere south of $10k. add a solid '00 & up 6 speed, new clutch, and do the 3.6 conversion, salvage 986'S' brakes & suspension (or after mkt, if the $$ is comparable), your choice of wheels and tires, and you should have a a fine upgradeable platform for an investment of $25-$30k, with some sweat equity thrown in.....
superglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #24

Superglide,

From a "buy and own for twenty years" point of view, yes, what you're saying is the path on which I am traveling with my 97 Boxster. When the motor blows I will probably get a Raby rebuild. I've already replaced most everything else.

However, I am always keeping something in the back of my mind... I am sinking thousands of dollars into a car I will never get back. Period. I have $38k in my car total in five years. It's still worth just $12k or possibly $13k. A Raby rebuild may take it up to $18-$20k max, but I'd have $52k in it by then.

This is what keeps most guys from doing what you're talking about. It's not like taking a beat up 69 Camaro and fixing it up. Every part costs more on our cars... sometimes ten or twenty times more, yet the return on investment is not there.

I tell you what though... if my motor blows anytime soon as broke as I am right now, I will try to shoehorn a Corvette motor in it. Much cheaper and well, it would be a good conversation starter at DE events, that's for sure. Half the 911 crowd would be pissed off because I diluted the brand and the other half would be amazed after I whipped their butts in the straights.

I don't know of anyone to do the vette motor as of yet, but they do it in 944's and guys are talking about it so someone will eventually try it. Heck, if you can find a beat up boxster for $10k or less, why not?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #25

I understand what you're saying Randall, but I was noodling out a schematic plan which began with the acquisition of a suitable 986 (preferably an 'S') with an already blown or tired motor, and not a car with existing financial baggage...

Still and though, given your situation (and mine, if my motor were to fail), a 3.6 transplant would make more sense to me; both financially and end result-wise. It's a known and accepted practice, wouldn't create huge issues with the car's balance and handling, provides a great platform for future HP additions; like turbo or supercharging... And pure HP from any source is going to require complimentary suspension and braking, unless you are solely interested in the straight-line stuff. Back in the Day here in Tucson, there was one or two 914's w/ the Chevy conversion and they were scary-fast until you reached the first turn. Then they were just plain scary.
Happy Motoring in the New Year,
Andy
Old 12-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #26

I wouldn't do an engine upgrade with the idea of recouping the investment...ain't gonna happen. I would do it with the idea of keeping it until I die, then maybe being buried in it. As well as the car handles and as good as it looks, I don't think it will ever be obsolete, and with the IMS issue solved, it should last a right long time. But it's a depreciable asset, certainly not an investment.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #27

Spot-on, DM
I gave up my 914-6, way back when it made sense financially, to get a 911sc, when I wanted to get a bit more "pucker-factor", than my 914 could be made to deliver, again in a practical, financial sense.

But I will not make that mistake again w/ my 986'S'. I will keep it, maintain it, and I'll get a second, faster/better Porsche (if I feel the need) when I hit the lottery again.