Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Patrick,

Pople lated, my baad.

If I have to make the "Guardrail or Loggin Truck" decision someday, I'll have my widow contact you about a cheap X51.

Carry On,
Ike
Oh fantastic! Seriously though, for your benefit, I hope it never comes down to that.

Patrick

Jake- I seriously can't wait to see how this all winds up once its on the dyno.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #42

IMS bearing

Hello.
Do you know if it's possible to upgrade the stock IMS bearing with your proprietary dual bearing billet HD unit without a total disassembly of the engine?
If it's possible, you will sell a ton of these...
Thanks
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #43
Engine Surgeon

No, the engine must be disassembled. The mod requires some intervention when being introduced to the IMS.. We sell the units ready to install, but the shaft would have to be removed.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
Porscheectomy

Jake - It looks like the plastic chain guides in the variable timing control assembly in the head get pretty chewed up after use. Have you made any modifications there?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #45

FYI you will want the 3.8 cams as they are larger then the 3.6. I am thinking of doing this with my 3.2 and then selling my 3.6 I am installing now unless someone buys it up soon.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #46
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
FYI you will want the 3.8 cams as they are larger then the 3.6. I am thinking of doing this with my 3.2 and then selling my 3.6 I am installing now unless someone buys it up soon.
We have designed our own camshafts for this arrangement....

Blue2000s, Yes we have some tricks for those guides, we line them with a proprietary material to reduce friction and wear.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #47

How much for these cams and will that be a direct bolt in on a 3.6?

Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #48
Engine Surgeon

Yes, they will bolt in directly, BUT the valve springs must also be upgraded and the cylinder heads should be pulled to do this, and at the same time our sever duty valves applied.

I don't like to add RPM or more aggressive cams to engines with unknown springs and valves, thats recipe for a failure.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #49

Jake, sorry I never got back with you as I am the architect guy with the low mileage red 01 s that sent you an email a while ago.

I know you're being questioned out the wazzo here, but I'm pretty much sold on your service. You definately know your stuff, and you are only 300 miles from me.

With that being said and you knowing my situation as it stands, what would a good budget number be with me bringing my car to you guys and basically providing my engine to you for rebuild from 3.2 to 3.6? Also, how long would it take? Please send me a pm if you don't want to post up.

Any test mule guinea pig hook a brother up discounts would be greatly appreciated...haha

Jon

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Yes, they will bolt in directly, BUT the valve springs must also be upgraded and the cylinder heads should be pulled to do this, and at the same time our sever duty valves applied.

I don't like to add RPM or more aggressive cams to engines with unknown springs and valves, thats recipe for a failure.

PM sent I am interested.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #51
Engine Surgeon

We'd need the car for about a month once the work was scheduled.. I am in the middle of erecting a new facility so we can turn around the M96 work much faster and do the installs and chassis dyno work on site.

We hope to have the turn around time down to two weeks by around the first of the coming year, lots of that depends on how fast I can finish this new facility... T
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
We'd need the car for about a month once the work was scheduled.. I am in the middle of erecting a new facility so we can turn around the M96 work much faster and do the installs and chassis dyno work on site.

We hope to have the turn around time down to two weeks by around the first of the coming year, lots of that depends on how fast I can finish this new facility... T
Damn, I should have bartered some services..I've got some work going on down there in GA.

Did you ever think of a good budget considering my situation? Would like to know.

Jon

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #53

Jake

I sent a PM and email. Please let me know what the difference is between the stock 36 or the 3.8 cams and yours. I would also like to know the difference of your valves and the stock ones. One last thing is that I will need pricing and availability on all these items.

Thanks
Josh

Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #54
Engine Surgeon

we have several different cam grinds available, dependant upon your application and inended power band and rev range.

What must be established first is what you will be doing with the engine. Is it a torque beast or a high revver? What are you willing to do to the heads? What ECU manipulation are you willing to do? drive-ability comncerns?

Here we have no generic parts, everything is application specific.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #55

3.6 with the IA supercharger running 4.5-5 lbs of boost. I only drive the car for fun on and off the track and it has never been nor will ever be a DD. I am willing to do the valve springs and the cams while the motor is out and my guy is willing to flow the heads but said more then likely not needed. I know that the 3.8 X51 has larger valves thus the guides would need to be increased but again my tech said it is not really needed. I already have the AASCO ligt weight flywheel for it and the tuning like my current package will be a one off. The current tune was done by Garret of GIAC. Stephen Kasper of IA will have the next one done. I am looking 400+ or - on pump of reliable HP.

I am being told that I can continue to run my 7.2 system with the 7.8 motor through the magic of tuning, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

Last edited by JP-s-in st. louis; 10-28-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #56
Engine Surgeon

JP, Unfortunately none of my cams will be optimum for what you are doing... This is mainly because we are not doing any super charging of the engines, only Turbo charging.

I have lots of reservations about setting up components in applications that they have not been proven in, especially with our program under such close scrutiny. we can't afford any complexities or even the possibilty of a failure.

I wish we could help, but your application is the only one we are currently not working with in some respect and I have no idea where we'd even start.