Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #21

Jake-

I have the utmost respect for your work, and am very interested in the possibility of a 3.6 conversion from my 3.2, however, I am still a little confused by the claim of 350HP from the 3.2 heads and intake runners. I know the 3.6 heads are quite different, featuring VarioCam Plus and larger exhaust ports, and the X51 heads have different cams. The 3.6 has a larger intake manifold. How are you going to wring 350HP out of a 3.2 with bigger bores but the same heads and runners (with perhaps a valve job)?

Also, is the price $15k PLUS sending in my good core?

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
If you have a Porsche you pay to play.
I agree, but from a hp upgrade standpoint it's doubtful Boxster owners will drop $20,000 on an underwhelming hp bump. I hope I'm wrong and Jake makes out well. I guess time will tell if there is a market out there.

Last edited by Adam; 09-07-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #23
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Jake-

I have the utmost respect for your work, and am very interested in the possibility of a 3.6 conversion from my 3.2, however, I am still a little confused by the claim of 350HP from the 3.2 heads and intake runners. I know the 3.6 heads are quite different, featuring VarioCam Plus and larger exhaust ports, and the X51 heads have different cams. The 3.6 has a larger intake manifold. How are you going to wring 350HP out of a 3.2 with bigger bores but the same heads and runners (with perhaps a valve job)?

Also, is the price $15k PLUS sending in my good core?

Patrick
The engines using the 3.2 heads that are modified will be constructed for higher torque and less peak HP, more than likely. BUT the stock 3.2 head already flows enough when coupled to cam mods to produce well over 320 HP.

All the engines seem to have ports and valves that are very large for their stock displacement, when compared to other engines. We can typically make 1.2-1.4 HP per FFM of port flow with an optimized combination and the best part is the 3.2 heads will make the best torque of any head and torque is what the Boxster needs more than anything.

HP sells engines, torque wins races... With a car thats as heavy as the boxster torque is king.

As far as cost goes, you guys don't seem to grasp the fact that our turn key packages are just one of the offerings we have.. Our biggest goal is to get our parts, tools and training into the hands of your local Porsche shop so they can provide a similar engine comprised of engineered components into your car.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #24

I want one.....Badly......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #25

I completely agree that torque is whats important. If the 3.6 with 3.2 heads makes a nice high torque curve, but only shows 320 topped out, that would be much more drivable than the X51 3.6. I'm just curious what could be done using X51 3.6 heads. Do you have cam upgrades in mind with this motor?

This is certainly more expensive, however, if its bulletproof thats more than worth the cost increase to me.

Patrick
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #26
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I completely agree that torque is whats important. If the 3.6 with 3.2 heads makes a nice high torque curve, but only shows 320 topped out, that would be much more drivable than the X51 3.6. I'm just curious what could be done using X51 3.6 heads. Do you have cam upgrades in mind with this motor?

This is certainly more expensive, however, if its bulletproof thats more than worth the cost increase to me.

Patrick
It's all in the combination... Bigger generally isn't better for street cars or applications that require acceleration and a flat torque curve, like AX, DE and spirited street driving.

The 3.2 heads are not slouches at all and with just a tad bit of work they'll bee very effective for a high velocity ported torque monster that'll drive and perform much better than the stock 3.2.

Cam alterations will be necessary.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
Ike

Thumbs up But, is it worth it?

Hey Mr. 986888,

Here is my answer to your original question - "Have you done it and is it worth it?"

I should qualify these thoughts as my own, and that most individuals have different values and priorities that they spend their hard earned cash on. That being said, I swapped out my 3.2L motor for a 3.6L X51 crate motor fresh from the Porsche factory. I had it professionally installed with a GT3 ecu. While it was in the shop I had the suspension upgraded with Bilstein PSS9s, M030 sways, & Paget Blue brake pads.

So now my Boxster has 355+ hp, and accelerates and handles like a mid engined 996 GT3. It is a phenomenal sportscar, and it thrills the holy bejezzus out of me every time I drive it. I live in remote part of the Rocky Mountains, and as a fun hobby I drive the back roads like the devil is on my tail.

Yeah, I am glad I spent the money on the Boxster! I was a big fan of it in it's stock configuration. In it's econo-supercar configuration (?!?!) I can't get enough of it. I would have a hard time swapping it for any other sportscar.....but that's just me!

Happy Trails,
Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #28

First up.. IKE nice ride man..

I wish i had the papers to spend on a new engine.. as im only a uni student i dont think it is within my means, but nice mods man ur car sounds like a rocket.
anyway im looking at just enjoying the car for what it is.. for now anyway who knows i might not have it for too much longer.
986888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Mr. 986888,

Here is my answer to your original question - "Have you done it and is it worth it?"

I should qualify these thoughts as my own, and that most individuals have different values and priorities that they spend their hard earned cash on. That being said, I swapped out my 3.2L motor for a 3.6L X51 crate motor fresh from the Porsche factory. I had it professionally installed with a GT3 ecu. While it was in the shop I had the suspension upgraded with Bilstein PSS9s, M030 sways, & Paget Blue brake pads.

So now my Boxster has 355+ hp, and accelerates and handles like a mid engined 996 GT3. It is a phenomenal sportscar, and it thrills the holy bejezzus out of me every time I drive it. I live in remote part of the Rocky Mountains, and as a fun hobby I drive the back roads like the devil is on my tail.

Yeah, I am glad I spent the money on the Boxster! I was a big fan of it in it's stock configuration. In it's econo-supercar configuration (?!?!) I can't get enough of it. I would have a hard time swapping it for any other sportscar.....but that's just me!

Happy Trails,
Ike

This is the car that Porsche should build. Think of the markup?????

Sounds wonderful, much continued luck with the car.

PS-Keep the oil clean.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #30

I've never heard of a 3.6L X51 only the 3.8L X51 that comes in the Carrera S and the 996 Turbo X51. What model does the 3.6L X51 come in, the Gt3? I've never seen the Gt3 engine referred to as an X51 before.

Last edited by Adam; 09-10-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #31
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I've never heard of a 3.6L X51 only the 3.8L X51 that comes in the Carrera S and the 996 Turbo X51. What model does the 3.6L X51 come in, the Gt3? I've never seen the Gt3 engine referred to as an X51 before.
I assume he's talking about a 996, not a 997 engine.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #32

The 3.6 X51 was an option on the 996. It is NOT the GT3 motor (The Turbo, GT2 and GT3 still use the old split crankcase 964 block, with water cooled heads). It is just a 3.6 M96 block with different heads, intake runners, and DME tuning.

Patrick
Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #33
Ike

Marketing Language

Hey Gearheads,

The 3.6L X51 was a factory option hand built motor for the 996 that was called the "Power Kit" and listed for about $15k. Porsche Germany still stocks the motor so it is available through the RUF folks.

I agree that this should be a Boxster S factory option, but the "Flagship" 911 would have its baby brudda opening a can of whuppass on it.

Thanks, I'm off to change the oil now...... :chicken:

Hasta,
Ike

Last edited by Ike; 09-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #34
Engine Surgeon

The X51 package can be replicated :-)
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
The X51 package can be replicated :-)
I know I want your 3.6L conversion with X51 3.6 heads and intake runners

Patrick
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #36
Ike

Breath Baby Breathe

Hey Patrick,

You may want to spec the more aggressive profile of the X51 cams too.

Ike
Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #37
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Patrick,

Ike
As a cost comparison, what does the 3.6l crate engine cost from Porsche? Without any of the labor of installation.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
Hey Patrick,

Ike

When I said "X51 heads," I meant as in populated, with the cams

Either way, when I get around to a swap it is likely going to be a "plain jane" 3.6 from Porsche, or one of Jake's conversions. The X51s are just too rare, and for a street car, I'm not paying the added premium, unless of course I come across a great deal on an X51 motor.

Patrick
Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
Ike

Smile After the Wake...

Hey Patrick,

Pople lated, my baad.

If I have to make the "Guardrail or Loggin Truck" decision someday, I'll have my widow contact you about a cheap X51.

Carry On,
Ike
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #40
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
You may want to spec the more aggressive profile of the X51 cams too
Done. The next step is digitizing the heads for replication.