Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #21

X51 upper intake Seriously, all the different systems out there do NOTHING but move the hp + torque numbers around in the RPM range. Do we think 1-3 engineers working at a plastics plant can "out engineer" Porsche? Those of us who have worked in the pro ranks call it "imagineering".

Sorry for being so harsh. I just found out someone installed a "hot air kit" on my brothers Boxster before he bought it. Why would you do a K+N snorkel in the engine compartment of a Boxster?? when STOCK it pulls fresh air from outside?? WTF??

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #22

Garage
What will this intake do to the numbers? Cost?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #23

Could you give me the bore diameter of that throttle body and it's Porsche p/n?

Thanks in advance,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
X51 upper intake Seriously, all the different systems out there do NOTHING but move the hp + torque numbers around in the RPM range. Do we think 1-3 engineers working at a plastics plant can "out engineer" Porsche? Those of us who have worked in the pro ranks call it "imagineering".

Sorry for being so harsh. I just found out someone installed a "hot air kit" on my brothers Boxster before he bought it. Why would you do a K+N snorkel in the engine compartment of a Boxster?? when STOCK it pulls fresh air from outside?? WTF??

B
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #24

Porsche sells it as part of a "kit" which is the way tuner's *should* sell stuff for our cars. The X51 "kit" is available from the dealer, but this intake is not designed for the Boxster engine compartment. The difference between a 996/997 intake compared to the Boxster is the "height" of the intake. The 996/997 use longer effective runners. Not a big deal, but requires lowering the front engine mount 1.0-1.25 down so the intake clears and no mods have to be done to the engine cover.

Right now, we have someone dyno testing different solutions for the Boxster engines using the different heads on different blocks and different intakes on different heads with different exhaust cams. We are playing around with 3.4 engines by installing 2.5 cranks to build short stroke high RPM engines... Very soon you will have a LOT of options. Right now, very few people actually have a clue about these engines (evidence is the number of turbo and supercharger kits out there) Basically "bolt on" solutions. We learned a long time ago that X51 exhaust cams REALLY wake up the 996 engines. Now custom cam grinds are being done and tested. Watch Excellence magazine for an update within the next 6 months.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #25

Throttle Body part number is:

Porsche current list price: 292.22

It is now on the car (CaymanS) so I'd have to dig back through some notes. I did measure it, just don't recall what the number is!!

B
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #26

Garage
My '04 S gives me a good kick in the pants. Would this intake be worth putting on? I understand about the clearance problem and I'm sure the strong dollar will make this a very economical upgrade . That being said I'd like to know if I would also have to have head work done to make this intake produce its true performance numbers or if bolting it on will work just fine.

I'm sure the boys in Stuttgart did their homework and what I have now is the best reliable solution at the time. My cars running great now, quick enough to kill me, but I would like to die a little quicker.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 09-04-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
Nothing in these cars is cheap or very effective. I can get an STI an extra 100-150hp with bolt ons and $5000. $15000 in a Boxster gets you 43hp. :dance:
$15k and only 43hp. Where are you shopping? I just had a Gemballa Bi-Turbo setup installed & tuned in my '02 986S. Total cost of parts & install labor was just over $14k and it netted me 508hp
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #28

Quote:
X51 upper intake
Doesn't RuF offer a X51 conversion for the 986?
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Every other person that i've talked to that owns a supercharger kit has blown an engine and they end up moving to 3.4Ls.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #30

That x51 intake manifold will not fit on a 3.2 block and probably not a 2.7 either... different bolt pattern...... also that TB part number may or may not be correct for your setup... the 986 and 996 car's TB have a different bolt pattern than the 987 and 997 cars as well.....also porsche has identical part numbers for different size and pattern TB's..... been through all of that with my swap!!!!!!!
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #31

Quote:

B
Hi, that is exactly what i was thinking how do you get cold air from an oven
Can we install a 12 volt cooler in the trunk and plug the evo intake tube to that
would make a lot more donkey power
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #32

Real live engineering data says the actual inlets on the side of the Boxster are TOO LOW. If Porsche had moved them up on the sides of the car, they would actually flow more than the 50% they flow now.

Engineering buddy of mine designs cars for VW/Audi and sits in an office next to the guy who designed the Boxster We hold some interesting conversations to say the least!!

B
Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi, that is exactly what i was thinking how do you get cold air from an oven
Can we install a 12 volt cooler in the trunk and plug the evo intake tube to that
would make a lot more donkey power
The EVO intake does draw from the outside. It comes with a surround so that it won't suck hot air from inside the engine. I did mine and love the results. Besides, I needed to replace the pipe that the MAF was installed on anyways so it was worth while. Great sound too (especially combined with the PSE).

I just tore out my old air box. I figured that if I ever want to go stock again I'll just order one up from a dismantler.
Chris
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #34

i'm very happy with the EVO airbox. stock airbox came out fine in one piece with a bit of patience. didn't lower the engine mount either.

only two sore-spots are the broken plastic tab on the intake vent cover when it was pulled off and the CEL that came on right after the instal (pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it and CEL went and stayed off). the tab is still broken but the vent stays put ok.

engine pulls smoother through the rev range with a small but noticeable drop in low rpm power and a significant and VERY noticeable increase in high rpm power. and the sound is pure magic.

Last edited by matty-matt; 09-08-2008 at 06:03 AM.
matty-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty-matt
i'm very happy with the EVO airbox. stock airbox came out fine in one piece with a bit of patience. didn't lower the engine mount either.

only two sore-spots are the broken plastic tab on the intake vent cover when it was pulled off and the CEL that came on right after the instal (pulled the MAF sensor and CEL stayed off). the tab is still broken but the vent stays put ok.

engine pulls smoother through the rev range with a small but noticeable drop in low rpm power and a significant and VERY noticeable increase in high rpm power. and the sound is pure magic.
You're running without a MAF?
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #36

just edited post. sorry for any confusion. MAF is installed, just cleaned it with electric contact spray.
matty-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #37
kt1

Honestly guys, I wouldn't knock Brad Roberts, many 'tuners' say they gain this and that from "feel" but you cannot feel such powers, it's incremental to what you're already used to and negligible by a 'butt dyno.' Only real way is having a dyno run before and after that intake install with same weather condition. If the intake didn't sit in the engine bay like that and actually had an element filter right at our side vent and smooth mandrel bent tubing going to the TB than maybe it'll help.

Side note: So does that X51 not bolt on to the 986's stock manifold's bolt pattern on the heads? That intake manifold looks to be a beast if you had port work done on the head for easier breathing of the engine.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1
Honestly guys, I wouldn't knock Brad Roberts, many 'tuners' say they gain this and that from "feel" but you cannot feel such powers, it's incremental to what you're already used to and negligible by a 'butt dyno.' Only real way is having a dyno run before and after that intake install with same weather condition. If the intake didn't sit in the engine bay like that and actually had an element filter right at our side vent and smooth mandrel bent tubing going to the TB than maybe it'll help.
Where are you getting the idea that the EVO doesn't go to the side intake? The pipe that runs from the EVO to the TB is stock. The EVO comes with a cone filter, small metal pipe to attach the MAF, and a surround that prevents hot air from the engine being taken in. All air comes from the outside.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1

Side note: So does that X51 not bolt on to the 986's stock manifold's bolt pattern on the heads? That intake manifold looks to be a beast if you had port work done on the head for easier breathing of the engine.

well I can say this with one hundred percent certainty... a 3.2 intake manifold will NOT fit on a 3.6... the bolt pattern is different... one side (dont remember which) could be drilled and tapped, but the other couldn't

ANYbody have a part number on that 3.6 x51 intake manifold and TB????
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #40

"Real live engineering data says the actual inlets on the side of the Boxster are TOO LOW. If Porsche had moved them up on the sides of the car, they would actually flow more than the 50% they flow now."

Not only that, but you would not be sucking up brake dust from the front brake. All it takes is a couple of hundred miles of driving and a clean filter element is pretty well covered with the black dust.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote