Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Anyone seen the new NHP Exhaust Muffler & Headers!

Okay, I've been away for some time but noticed that Max Speed Motorsports has redone their Headers and Exhaust recently. Anyone have them installed yet? They are better that before mainly because this time the cats for the headers are built in and they have both the O2 sensor holes for us who need them. The Exhaust is basically the same except for the better sound resonance. The inside car drone is supposed to be gone now. You can tell by the new design that they did some changes. The price for both is still very high but at least if you get the headers you don't have to worry about the CELL codes coming on.

42mm primary piping vs. 36mm stock piping
200 cells sport catalytic converters
2 inch exit pipe vs. 1 3/4" stock exit pipe
10mm thick flanges
T-304 Polished Stainless Steel (except for flanges they are steel)
Now I know what you are all thinking these headers aren't new because Fabspeed has been making them for years, but even those were way over priced. About $2,300 compared to the ones sold by Max Speed for $1,200 on e-bay.
Here are is the new exhaust.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 08-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #2

I can't speak for the rest of the exhaust, but those headers look like very little thought went into them and certainly would appear to flow very poorly.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I can't speak for the rest of the exhaust, but those headers look like very little thought went into them and certainly would appear to flow very poorly.

Patrick
Well they are a 3-into-1 design so you will get more top end speed as apposed to a 3-2-1 design for more torque. Either way, the fact that the Cats are now "built in" making them legal and the piping which is 2" tells me they would flow much better than stock 1-3/4". The cats are also high flow. All the other headers out there only have 1 set of O2 censors on them making 01-04 owners having to add another set to the headers or relocating the extra set to the down pipe section. Both of which would require welding in new bung holes. Unless of course you have an earlier 97-00 Boxster which does not require a second set of censors. I just like the fact that they are better than stock and still street legal not setting of error codes and whatnot.

42mm primary piping vs. 36mm stock piping
200 cells sport catalytic converters
2 inch exit pipe vs. 1 3/4" stock exit pipe
10mm thick flanges
T-304 Polished Stainless Steel (except for flanges they are steel)

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 08-23-2008 at 09:39 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzEcEUt_aB8
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #5

The 3 into 1 part is great, though you still have short primaries, which will bolster low end torque, not high RPM HP. The cats are allegedly high flow, but I have no idea of their quality, or if they are metallic core or not. My real issue, however, is with the design (or lack thereof) of the end tanks around the cats. Look at the FabSpeed catted headers, with their beautiful enlarged/ reduced cones to smooth flow into and out of the cats vs the direct in (no end tank at all) and sideways (barely an end tank) exit.

I can't say for certain, since I haven't seen these on a flow bench, but I can say that I've never seen anything that flows fluid well look like this.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote