Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #1

Evo Highflow Fresh Air Intake

I am thinking of buying one of the Evo Fresh Air Intake Systems. Does anyone out there have one? What are your experiences with taking out the airbox? Is it safe? I have also heard that the airflow meter will be ruined by oils that are drawn in from the filter? What type of sound does it produce.

Bethencorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #2

I was thinking of doing the EVO upgrade as well but I held off for a few reasons. First off the stock air intake is a cold air intake. Look at the design. The snorkel tube pulls in completely fresh cold air away from the engine through the side inlet. The evo system actual sits inside the engine compartment where common sense would tell you air temps are higher. It takes in some warm engine compartment air despite the heat shield. Secondly, as you mentioned the filter can cause MAS problems probably due to the oil or sensor local. Many EVO owners say they have switched back due to annoying check engine lights and MAS problems. I've also heard from owners that the install can be pain due to the tight confines of the engine compartment. I've settled on something that works fine for me and probably gives you 3/4's of the sound and HP gain that the EVO gives. And I don't have to worry about any of the headaches like MAS problems and check engine lights plus it saved me some green. It's also a snap to install compared to EVO. Here's the link.

http://www.eagleday.com/pobmcpefi.html
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:37 AM   #3

The fouling up of the Air Mass Sensor is no longer attributed to aftermarket oil-based filters. It was initially thought to be but no longer apparently so. This is what I've been reading in the Porsche Club of America tech section where cars with or without aftermarket filters are also found with fouled AMS problem.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={ED1A5C64-0E4A-46E9-A655-44728DCEF9BF}

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={594710AE-CB21-4DD9-B5ED-5B13027092EE}

My Evo intake just arrived and is pending installation If I'm able to dyno my car, I'll revert on the results.

If you're worried about the EVO heat shield sucking in warm air, you can retain the original airbox and just replace the pipe to get rid of the resonance chamber which apparently causes turbulance to the intake charge.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:42 AM   #4

Hope I am not being dumb here but why not just use an K and N filter with the existing structure. Seems that would get you a bit more sound. less restriction and keep the cold air design that is stock in nature?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:13 AM   #5

the evo intake is a ripoff. Just pull your snorkle and put a K&N in. The BMC's are overpriced for the same thing.

I did mine just for the sound of it. The induction noise is fabulous now. I actually cut out the resonator as well for a deeper wail.

All this talk about failed sensors (from filter oil) and engine fires (from de-snorkeling) are internet folklore as far as I'm concerned.

One guy starts this stuff and it spreads like wildfire. Maybe there was one or two fires from a cigarette butt in the intake but that hardly makes it an actual fact.

Most of what's going on with our air boxes came from noise restricitons the factory had to meet and the necessity to prevent any kind of water intrusion into the air tract. The factory has alot more to worry about than just horsepower.
synthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #6

Brucelee the K&N is a good choice, but does not offer the same airflow that the Evo filter would. Evo is claiming 8-10 hp and a lot more sound. I question whether it is harmful, rather than helpful. I see the point of the Evo pulling in warm air from around the engine. This would be more so on longer rides where the heat would build up rapidly in the engine compartment.

What advantage is there to the BMC vs. K&N?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #7

synthesis have you had any problems with check engine lights or anything else since the modification?

What exactly does it sound like compared to stock?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Bethencorp
...I see the point of the Evo pulling in warm air from around the engine. This would be more so on longer rides where the heat would build up rapidly in the engine compartment.
There's the heat shield to take care of that. Going by the design, it should be effective in keeping out at least some warm air... Anyway, has anyone done a temperature probe to see the before/after intake charge? If the engine compartment is not such a hassle to access, I may just do it. I'll see what it goes during the installation...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
synthesis have you had any problems with check engine lights or anything else since the modification?

What exactly does it sound like compared to stock?
Never any lights or other problems.

The sound is pure induction, a night and day difference. The airbox design on the 986 is basically a big cold air muffler. Porsche had to meet swiss (I believe) drive by standards for noise which are very low. Don't know why the couldn't make a different box for our market for a few extra $$$.

If you have ever seen open intake stacks on a race motor, they make as much sound as the exhaust at full song. So it is important for car makers to muffle the intake noise. Its easier to do than the exhaust because of the low temperature of the ambient air (compared to exhaust gas) and the slower speed of the air relative to the velocity of the exhaust gas.

Anyway, it sounds better.
synthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Brucelee the K&N is a good choice, but does not offer the same airflow that the Evo filter would. Evo is claiming 8-10 hp and a lot more sound. I question whether it is harmful, rather than helpful. I see the point of the Evo pulling in warm air from around the engine. This would be more so on longer rides where the heat would build up rapidly in the engine compartment.

What advantage is there to the BMC vs. K&N?
This may just be some more internet B.S but on some other boxster boards K&N users said they experienced fouled MAS due to the filters being over-oiled at the factory. The BMC is twice as much as the K&N, but it is slightly better quality and you shouldn't have to worry about MAS problems and CEL's. I'll spend 35 extra bucks for peace of mind.

The stock tube that has the resonance chambers is slightly more restrictive than the evo tube, plus quieter. EVO sells the tube and a K&N filter that replaces the stock but the kit costs 200 bucks(it's similar to the tube that comes with the cone filter intake). I'm not going to pay 200 dollars for a plastic tube(thats insane) but it would be a nice edition to the intake system. That and also an enlarged throttle body from S-Car-Go. Those upgrades would probably give the car is much hp/sound as the EVO cone filter setup.
Here's the EVO Wbsite link that may prove helpful for Some on what were talking about.

http://www.evoms.com/p%20boxster%20induction%20tuning.htm

Last edited by Adam; 12-27-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #11

I guess I am skeptical of an 8-10 HP gain on the basis of an air filter (if I am understanding this correctly). I have a K and N on my Motorcycle and it sounds fine, but I doubt it did squat on power.

I guess a quick trip to the dyno would resolve all the questions?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
That and also an enlarged throttle body from S-Car-Go.
I'm very interested in this item... tried www.s-car-go.com and got a chef's website!! Mind telling me where I can get more info on this? I thought only TechArt sells them and at a ridiculous price too
Old 12-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucelee
I guess I am skeptical of an 8-10 HP gain on the basis of an air filter (if I am understanding this correctly). I have a K and N on my Motorcycle and it sounds fine, but I doubt it did squat on power.

I guess a quick trip to the dyno would resolve all the questions?
I am also skeptical of a significant HP gain just by changing the filter. One of the guys on G35DRIVER.com dynoed his G35 sedan with and without the stock air filter. The difference was only 1.5 HP.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #14

Clubhead try : www.scargoracing.com
They also sell a very nice Carbon fiber intake that I have been looking into for some time but I am still undecided. There stuff is very expensive and they are not afraid to admit it! They scored second in a 911 shootout in excellence mag though! I keep promising myself that I will stop by there shop one day..
Old 12-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
... There stuff is very expensive and they are not afraid to admit it!
The prices of their headers are just RIDICULOUS!! Dansk's ones are very similar for less than half the price. Oh well, I already have Dansk ones on so... Their high price is probably due to the lack of economy of scale/critical mass for their products. Unless their headers are made of titanium or some rare metals.

Thanks for the website. I'm considering the oversize throttle body...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #16

Does anyone have any advice on the Quickflow Air Intake System that is on tweeks? It is about $100 less than the EVO. Is that a good way to improve my sound? I don't really care about the horsepower just the sound. Or will just using a K&N add good sound and save me money?
guenzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #17
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
EVO Intake

I’m seriously thinking of upgrading to the EVO intake, does anyone know of any links that have a sound file of a boxster with an evo installed?

Thanks,
Chris
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #18

Guenzak, The quick flow system in Tweeks appears to be very similar and it is cheaper. Tweeks products are overpriced though so if you can find it somewhere else for less let me know. The K&N and BMC replacement filters will add some sound difference but the tube will also help. Desnorkling will add even more intake sound yet. Doing all 3 of those things together should make quite a dramatic difference.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by guenzak
Does anyone have any advice on the Quickflow Air Intake System that is on tweeks? It is about $100 less than the EVO. Is that a good way to improve my sound? I don't really care about the horsepower just the sound. Or will just using a K&N add good sound and save me money?
The difference between the Quickflow and Highflow is the earlier retains the stock air box but replaces the intake piping and supplies you with K&N square filter. That's why it's $100 cheaper. I considered the Quickflow but decided on the Highflow instead. The Highflow comes with heat shield anyway. Figured if I'm going to replace the intake, I might as well go all the way

I'm waiting for my base dyno run before putting in my Highflow as I'm writing this. Should have a report out within the next 1-2 days.

Soundwise, I'm sure the Highflow will give you better sound as the heat shield does not offer as good sound insulation as the stock airbox.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #20

Excellent clubhead. I thought tweeks sold a non-evo product(can't remember the name) that is very similar to the quick-flow evo product. It comes with a big flow tube like the evo but the air filter is red foam. I think it is only about $180 as well. Considerably less than the evo product. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This was the system I was referring to in my earlier post.

Last edited by Adam; 12-30-2004 at 07:12 PM.