986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Best Headers for 2002 3.6L in Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/17767-best-headers-2002-3-6l-boxster.html)

tholyoak 08-05-2008 06:25 AM

I guess I am feeling a little more charitable today so I will give you some more details against my better judgement. ;)

You are making the same, possibly incorrect assumptions about header design as I made. I too liked the longer primary design of B&B headers and assumed headers like the Fabspeed were made with short primaries to accommodate cats even in their headers without cats.

Upon comparison the B&B fabrication is not up to the standards of Fabspeed, the B&B use a stepped primary, which is far cheaper to manufacture and their collector design is not as neat of a piece as the one peice 'F1' merge collector on the Fabspeed.

I have dyno tested the B&B and will dyno the Fabspeed that is now on the car this weekend as long as the dyno shop is open. The butt dyno says there is no appreciable difference between the two header designs, simply they have went about the process in two different ways, but we'll see what the dyno says.

A crappy cell pic of the B&B headers

http://home.everestkc.net/tholyoak/0805080701.jpg
-Todd

m2speed 08-05-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tholyoak
I guess I am feeling a little more charitable today so I will give you some more details against my better judgement. ;)

You are making the same, possibly incorrect assumptions about header design as I made. I too liked the longer primary design of B&B headers and assumed headers like the Fabspeed were made with short primaries to accommodate cats even in their headers without cats.

Upon comparison the B&B fabrication is not up to the standards of Fabspeed, the B&B use a stepped primary, which is far cheaper to manufacture and their collector design is not as neat of a piece as the one peice 'F1' merge collector on the Fabspeed.

I have dyno tested the B&B and will dyno the Fabspeed that is now on the car this weekend as long as the dyno shop is open. The butt dyno says there is no appreciable difference between the two header designs, simply they have went about the process in two different ways, but we'll see what the dyno says.

-Todd

Thanks Todd for your experience and knowledge, I have to run UPS called and the engine is in and I have to go pick it up there. :dance:

Ike 08-05-2008 02:27 PM

3.6L Header Option

Dude,

I have these RUF headers on my 3.6L x51 powerplant in a 986 '03 S. I have no problems with the set up at all. It runs like a raped ape!

If you want more info on their headers and applications, call Wayne Corely at 888-783-6872.

Hasta,
Ike

m2speed 08-05-2008 07:53 PM

It Here!

I picked up my engine today. '02 3.6L 911 Carrera with 28K miles. Missing many piece that I had thought would come with it inclueding the upper intake. I will call in the morning to try and get it. I got tied up with the poison sisters tonight to really worry about it. Hope you can understand the priorities.

m2speed 08-05-2008 08:06 PM

3.6L Engine

here's the pic of the 2002 3.6L 911 Whats missing?

Cloudsurfer 08-05-2008 09:22 PM

Missing quite a bit.....but looks to be a VERY clean block.

Patrick

tholyoak 08-06-2008 04:23 AM

A) Ruf will not sell you individual components from their swaps. They will only provide complete conversions, or replacement parts for a previous conversion

B) Those simply look like X51 headers that have been modified to work flipped around on the 996. If you are a good fabricator and have the necessary tools this is always an option.

-Todd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike
Dude,

I have these RUF headers on my 3.6L x51 powerplant in a 986 '03 S. I have no problems with the set up at all. It runs like a raped ape!

If you want more info on their headers and applications, call Wayne Corely at 888-783-6872.

Hasta,
Ike

JP-s-in st. louis 08-06-2008 08:25 AM

Todd, Easy

I need help quick! How did you lower the motor was there a different motor mount you used or??? I need one ASAP!

:cheers:

tholyoak 08-06-2008 09:37 AM

Did you read the pdf over at renntech? Fitting the 3.6 is the same as fitting a 3.4. You simply use longer bolts and a spacer. I fabricate my spacer out of aluminum stock.
A lot of people on this board seem to think this is all new. Go over to renntech and do a search. You will quickly find that I have answered these questions over and over again.

-Todd

JP-s-in st. louis 08-06-2008 10:58 AM

Sorry Todd but I did the search under 3.6 and just now found it under the 3.4. I do appreciate all the assistance with this and that PDF file will come in to good use. You may want to add that link to your sig for any other future people who do a search. "my 3.4 into 986 install" It may save time and of course your frustration.

Thanks again
Josh
:cheers: