Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 AM   #1

LSD Anyone?

Has anyone added LSD to their car? If so how did it go and what did it cost?
How do u like it?
I have a Cayman S and plan to do the mod. I am also needing to find a shop worthy of the job. I live in Destin, FL.

team526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #2

awhile back there was a post from a guy who installed a quaife torque biasing diff in his boxster. he swears hands down it was the BEST mod he'd ever made in his car. as for the install, it's really not that tough if you're handy. if you need a shop, i know nothing of destin. cheers.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:25 AM   #3

Insite what track is that in your pic?
team526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:11 AM   #4

Last time I had LSD I ate a phonebook
Old 12-11-2006, 05:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by team526
Insite what track is that in your pic?
talladega gran prix raceway. if you're ever interested in going, we limit the event to 12 cars, $121 track fee. we run three cars on track at a time, no aggressive passing (only on straights). we generally get about 120mi driving each. looks like you're in Destin, so it's a long drive for you. they've just expanded / re-paved the track; we're likely going again in February. PM me if you're interested.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #6

I give up, what is a LSD mod.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I give up, what is a LSD mod.....
Limited Slip Differential

Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Last time I had LSD I ate a phonebook

Good stuff huh?

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #9

I've investigated this for my MY01 BoxsterS (986).

Quaife makes a Boxster LSD but only lists (listed ?)_ the base boxster on their website. Not sure whether they do anything for a CaymanS.

Furthermore you can check Drexler. I've had some e-mail exchange with a sales manager but finally they said something along the lines of

"Porsche gearboxes are very hard to get information on. Sure we can do it. Send car or gearbox to us".

A bit of a wild guess for me though ;-)

Friend of mine drives a BMW 130i with Drexler LSD and transforms the car. Actually a proper mechanical LSD it just what the Cayman/Boxster needs.

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
oh dang, i would have thought the Boxster came with an LSD stock...

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
oh dang, i would have thought the Boxster came with an LSD stock...
Limited slip differentials are not all created equally and not all of them are appropriate for all applications. What I mean by this is there are downsides to each of them, and what the car's primary use is should dictate what kind of (if any) LSD should be used.

For instance one of the upsides to a mid-engined car is its willingness to change direction quickly. One downside to a mid-engine is that when power is applied exiting a corner, the rear weight bias can increase understeer.

Blindly installing a clutch-type LSD would cause a mid-engined car to have increased corner ENTRY understeer because it limits the maximum speed differential between the two rear wheels. Some people feel this detracts from the car's steering feel as well. On corner exit it will exacerbate the car's desire to go in a straight line, causing even more push unless tuned out with suspension adjustments or driving adjustments. So it's not all hearts and bunnies. In fact these reasons are why Lotus initially did not offer an LSD on the Elise - they claimed it would actually make the car slower around a racetrack and be less "precise" feeling.

On the other hand a torque-biasing differential like a Quaife effectively acts like an open differential on corner exit, but a clutch-type on exit. This would be a good choice for a car like the Boxster, but it's still not for everyone. The main downside to a quaife is if one wheel is on a high-grip surface and one is not, the differential will act like an open diff. So on snow or ice, it's not ideal.

All that said, I would certainly have ticked the box for a Quaife had it been offered on the 986. But it's not a huge deal that the car doesn't have one, and nobody who doesn't compete with (or do track events with) their car should care because for the street driver, it's perfect the way it is.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #12

LSD?? Last time would've been the 1980 Summer Jam in KC, MO. The only band I remember was Foreigner.....the 20 ft tall Jukebox kinda freaked me out.....
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #13

Thumper, You light up my life thanks. :dance: :dance:
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by team526
Has anyone added LSD to their car? If so how did it go and what did it cost?
How do u like it?
I have a Cayman S and plan to do the mod. I am also needing to find a shop worthy of the job. I live in Destin, FL.
I have been researching the same issue for my 2001 Boxster S.

IMHO an LSD is well worth while for track work. Most race cars, including GT3's have them. For street use , I'm not sure there a great deal of benefit

I think you need to adjust your driving style as there is a bit of understeer on corner entry but a well set up LSD will reduce your lap times substantially.
The September issue of Excellence has a write up on a Farbacher Lolas 3.8 Cayman which has been fitted with an LSD built by a company called Stasis. Interestingly the split ratios have been reversed from those on a GT3. Instead of 40/60, it is 60/40 due the different handling nature of a mid engined car vs rear.

For myself, I think I've decided to go with a Guard Chromoly diff. These are used in many race cars and seem to be indestructible. Dont know if he does one for a Cayman but Paul Guard is pretty helpful and has a couple of good articles on the LSD's on his site
http://guardtransmission.com/

Cheers
Dennis
Dfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #15

Quaife has them for the 3.2L 986 Boxster S

This is a new development to me because I checked a few months ago and did not notice this, but they list a part number for the 3.2S. It is the same part number they list for the 996.

They are out there.

That makes me wonder if the GT(Guard Transmission) TBDs and LSDs for the 996 will fit the 3.2L Boxster S as well
Slashmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #16

One of the local guys has one. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6567&hl=Monster+boxster

It is a 2000 2.7 with a 3.4 conversion and other stuff. The Monster Boxster.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
talladega gran prix raceway. if you're ever interested in going, we limit the event to 12 cars, $121 track fee. we run three cars on track at a time, no aggressive passing (only on straights). we generally get about 120mi driving each. looks like you're in Destin, so it's a long drive for you. they've just expanded / re-paved the track; we're likely going again in February. PM me if you're interested.
Wow, this sounds like a very good deal for the money. Too bad it's so far away from me.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #18

This has been on my "to do" list for a while. I would definitely do a torque biasing dif vs a true LSD on this car, and the Quaife is an excellent choice. I believe there is an application for the 6-speed.

What I'm a lil in the dark on, still, is how much of a PITA this will be to install. Anyone know?

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
talladega gran prix raceway.
I love Talledega GP. There is nothing to hit and that "turn 4" or whatever you call it with the bank is a real balsy turn to take as fast as you can. The banking isn't obvious from the cockpit and if you miss the drop you're going off into the weeds!

Wow. That's cool that you've driven that track. I pretty much assumed that it got lost between Barber and Road Atlanta.

I can't wait to get back east. You have all the good tracks!

Sam
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
...The main downside to a quaife is if one wheel is on a high-grip surface and one is not, the differential will act like an open diff. So on snow or ice, it's not ideal...:

I thought the opposite was true, that an ATB sends torque to the wheel that has the most grip?