Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #21

Kirk, regardless if it helps or not, I give you props for just trying. I think tying in a bar directly between the strut towers is best, but I think your idea looks neat. Have you tested it hard to see if the clamps slip/move any?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Have you tested it hard to see if the clamps slip/move any?

Thanks man. Yeah, this is a trial. I'm not sure how those clamps will work out or if I need to tighten up the bolt spacing a bit. My son and I put neoprene padding under the clamps today to prevent any damage to the paint.

I won't have a chance to test it for a while. That's why I'm tinkering around in the garage. I'm recovering from some surgery last Wednesday to my left foot, so I won't be driving a manual transmission for a while...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
the OEM braces are designed for axial load. when you add an element that produces stress in the normal direction, you can bend stuff. even if nothing bends badly, the flex in the OEM arms will essentially negate any positive benefit you might have gained from triangulating them. that, and the clamps won't do.

Sorry, I still just don't see it... The added brace is not going to "produce stress" as if there's an actual load pushing at that point. The idea is that if the OEM brace were to want to flex, the added brace would help to resist this flexing. Pretty simple. If one OEM brace is flexing because it's under greater load than the other, then this added brace would help to counter that flex through the support of the other OEM brace. Yes, this is a stress, but is it any greater than what you would see with the OEM braces normally flexing? No, instead it's spread over both bars rather than just the one under the higher load. That most definitely is a benefit.

I definitely agree that the clamps are the weak link. I think I need to work out something better there, but this is just the first iteration/trial. I also agree that it would be better to just tie the strut towers directly together. Again, I was looking at a cheaper and potentially easier alternative using the stock pieces.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote