Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

shifter problem

alright, so i think one of my shifter linkages is broken...but i'm not sure. i think it's the linkage for the 'left-right' throw. i can't put the tranny in reverse, and it feels like there's no 1-3 gate, and no 2-4 gate. the car will go into gear, it's just EXTREMELY sloppy onces it's in the gate. when it's in gear, the shifter can still move left to right.

csu15919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Have you ever put coins in the ash tray?
A couple of people have had coins they put in the ash tray fall out into the shifter area and get stuck. It makes shifting choppy.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

i figured it out. the shop that put the motor in didn't replace the clips that hold the cables to a bracket on the transmission (weird looking 4-prong clips and a gold bracket). the cables came out of the bracket, and created too much slack so i didn't have full throw. that's another thing to add to my list of horror stories from that stupid shop.

thank you too rick. i removed the center console and found like $2 in change under it HA! that ought to get me a nice half gallon of gas. i'm going to the dealer tomorrow and i'm going to order those clips.

stephen
csu15919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #4

Shifter problem: Won't go into 1st.

I have a 98 with a five speed that is starting to shift badly. At first, it wouldn't go into first without jiggling the shifter or moving into a different gear first. Now it started refusing to go into first no matter what I do!

It feels like something may not be lining up correctly. Anyone have advice on how to better diagnose/fix this one?

Thanks!

dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote