Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

Soft Top Seized

Hi All

I've got a bit of a problem here - got home this afternoon, and went to raise the soft top. It started to move OK, then slowed down and stopped when half closed. Wouldn't move any more electrically, so I had to do the emergency closure routine. The clam shell was lop-sided, suggesting a problem on one side. Is this likely to be just dirt and grit getting in somewhere, or does the mechanism have a tendency to seize ? It's a 2000 vintage 'S'. Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton
Hi All

I've got a bit of a problem here - got home this afternoon, and went to raise the soft top. It started to move OK, then slowed down and stopped when half closed. Wouldn't move any more electrically, so I had to do the emergency closure routine. The clam shell was lop-sided, suggesting a problem on one side. Is this likely to be just dirt and grit getting in somewhere, or does the mechanism have a tendency to seize ? It's a 2000 vintage 'S'. Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated.
Unfortunatey you probably have snapped the convetible top transmission
cable(s). I had this occur on my '97. Hopefully your clamshell is not bent too much. Not unusual on 986 models. I had mine repaired at the dealer for about $1,500.00 USD. In some cases the clamshell can be bent back OK by the dealer but be careful. If it is damaged too much a body shop will have to repair it. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #3

Thanks for that. Turns out the drive cable on one side has sheared, so it was trying to lower one side and not the other. Not sure why the cable sheared - perhaps the joints or slide needed a bit of lubrication. Waiting for the replacement bits, then see how much the clamshell has distorted.

anton is offline   Reply With Quote