Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #1

Need Recommendation on good AutoX tires

I'd like to get some recommendations on good AutoX/Track tires so I don't chew-up my expensive Perelli's quicker than they already wear.

Thanks

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #2

Falken Azenis 615 for autox (I love my PS2's but they are expensive),
Toyo RA1 for track(?)

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

Have you looked at Kumho Victoracers ?

http://www.kumhousa.com/tires/passenger/competition.do

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #4

+1 for Falken Azenis RT-615
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
Before offering my faves, I've got to ask a couple of questions:
Who are you autocrossing with (SCCA, PCA, etc)
What class are you running in?

Look up the rule books online and see what kind of restrictions you're facing for the class you want to AX in.

If you can run an R-comp tire, my vote is for Pilot Sport Cups. They are unreal!!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

x2

Check the rule book to see how tires affect the class you run in. No point running R comps - the geric name for barely street legal competition tires (BFG R1, V710s, Hoosier A6, Toyo RA1/R888, Old victoracers, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups etc) if they make you or your car not class competitive.

if you are new to AX, some clubs/regions have "rookie" classes that will not allow R comps for example.

The real key to AX is seat time/experience. Once you get "close" to the times of guys in similar cars with R comps, then make the jump and destroy the competition. Depending on the course, R comps will get you between .5-1.5 seconds over street tires.

Also realize you will want a second set of rims for these dedicated tires. Then there are the compromises. Running Hoosiers, R1, V710s on the street is a perhaps questionable to stupid move. Getting a "slower" R comp like the RA1, MPSCs, R888 will allow you to use them on the street and not need to "swap over" for the event. That's a nice touch when its 90+ degrees and humid and you get to sit in your own sweat changing wheels before and after the event.

Then, remember, will be the long threads about:

1) Alignment
2) Sizes to run (both width and diameter)
3) bringing water bottles to cool the tires in the summer, warmers in the cooler weather
4) tire pressures
5) running spacers
6) sway bar mods
7) how much more should I spend to get the next .2 seconds quicker

Also, iirc, you mentioned doing some DE too. If that's true, you will be told by your instructors to stay on street tires as you progress as a student.

As an instructor, I prefer a student on street tires because the howling helps a person learn the tire limits better and enjoy sliding the car at a lower limit.

As one who does DE and AX, I prefer the "slower" RA1 type tire since it works well in both areas, and is street friendly, and is even rain friendly with a fuller tread.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 06-13-2008 at 11:59 AM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
+1 on what Racer_D said. Sage advice.

Tires are expendable. If you want to stay in street stock just maul those Pirelli's for all they are worth. Once they are gone you will have 10-12 Auto-X days under your belt and you will have a very good idea which tires you want next. Have fun. Drive safe.