Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Suspension lifespan - what mileage to replace?

I'm looking at used boxsters.

one "must have" item is the M030 suspension.

I can either find a car that doesn't have it, then buy/install it on my own - thus getting brand new suspension.

OR

find a car that has it already.

if I go the latter route - and assuming the car has had the upgraded suspension from day one - then depending upon the mileage of the car, the suspensino may need to be replaced soon.

i've never owned a porsche, but from othe cars i've owned, it's not uncommon to need new shocks by 50-75k.

If I get a nice, but USED boxster, that has 50-75k mileage - am I realistically going to need to replace suspension, bushings, etc pretty soon? if that's the case, then HAVING to find a car iwh the M030 already installedmight be a waste of time if i'll just be replacing it soon anyway...

maybe it would be wiser to find a car that has all the OTHER options I want, the right mileage, year, color, etc... and then just buy/install the M030 and have it be fresh/new.

what is the lifespan of the OEM setup assuming normal driving? (not a track monster that's been abused)

Last edited by 23109VC; 06-04-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typos
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #2

At about 55K my 2000 base boxster seemed to be getting a soggy suspension, at least to me, so I replaced it. That was a little over a year ago. I think most folks seem to get a much longer life out of their suspensions.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #3

my dad's car has about 72k on it.

it has decent tires. the suspension is stock.

it still feels pretty darn stiff/tight. not brand new stiff - but I didn't think it felt like it was soggy or in need of immediate replacement....

just curious what kind of lifespan most of you have been able to get.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #4

Unless the struts leak, there is no need to replace them.
The part of the suspension that eventually sags a little bit are the springs,
My car has now 171,000 miles on the OEM M030 Struts, but I replaced the springs at 120,000 miles.
BTW I calculate that about 11,000 of those miles are hard track miles.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Lower control arms up front seem to wear out prematurely compared to my other cars.

Remember, the term "suspension" entails a lot more than struts, 23109VC <-- btw, that's a very odd screen name

I would not shop for a boxster and select it because it has the M030 suspension on it as the deciding factor unless the car was pristine, had low miles on it, a detailed service file, a picky first owner, and a fantastic price.

It may cost you $2500 to put a new set of sport struts on the car after you buy it, but finding a clean, low mileage boxster that had an owner who kept up with the car would be my first priority if I was buying another boxster.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote