Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Help removing windscreen and wheel inserts

i am having trouble removing the windscreen..it seems like it shoud be easy ..i can get the levers to move but the screen wont pop out..i dont want to break anything..and i think i ought to leave it alone...also how easy is it to pop out the black porsche decals in the center of the wheels and replace them with colored porsche crest ???and what is the best to buy for the money????..i found a set for around $160

manaco986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
To remove the center windstop, just pull up on each lever while pushing down on the windscreen (towards the ground) and back towards the rear of the car. Do this for each side, and it will pop right out.

To pull out the wheel centercaps, just use a wire clothes hanger and insert into the hole and pluck out the cap.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #3

My center caps don't have holes. If yours are of the same variety, you'll have to remove each wheel and pop out the center cap from the inside. It's a pain, but owning these kind of caps (and buying replacement ones without holes) makes them far harder to steal, which is common.

And on the center windscreen, do be very careful with those clips. They are very tender when new and as they age, they always seem to break inside. When you get it off have a good look at both to see if they're intact or not. It would not surprise me if one or both of yours is broken.

If the thing rattles when you drive with the top down, one or more is broken. And yes, they can be replaced inexpensively if you purchase them through Sunset Imports in Oregon.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #4

many thanks for your imput...

i dont think i have a hole in the centercap but i will check...i wonder why porsche did not add color crest to wheels and steering wheel..doesnt the boxster deserve the same aesthetics as thir more expensive brethren?? by the way just got my 60 k check up....had to replace alternator..RMS and clutch...guess how much i paid??? $1541.45... you know why...i bought a GE warranty with my car and it covered all main areas but the clutch...if you are in illinois or tri state area...check out semeria imports..best guys around.
manaco986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaco986
i dont think i have a hole in the centercap but i will check...i wonder why porsche did not add color crest to wheels and steering wheel..doesnt the boxster deserve the same aesthetics as thir more expensive brethren?? by the way just got my 60 k check up....had to replace alternator..RMS and clutch...guess how much i paid??? $1541.45... you know why...i bought a GE warranty with my car and it covered all main areas but the clutch...if you are in illinois or tri state area...check out semeria imports..best guys around.
Starting in 2001, they did offer the colored crested 3-spoke steering wheel as standard in the base car. The color crested wheel caps were and still are an option, as some people prefer the monochrome look....plus, they can obviously charge a premium for the colored set.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote