Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #1

Custom exhaust?

Has anyone thought about/done a custom exhaust for their car? In reading all the posts about headers I am interested but not at the cost of not passing emissions. I think it is Fabspeed that has the headers with the "high flow" cats but they cost an arm and a leg. What about picking up a set of headers (without the cats) and having a muffler shop weld in "high flow" cats and an O2 bung (where the secondary cats are located) so that you get the benefit of better headers but also have a set of "primary" cats? Or are the secondary cats the same as the primary cats? Or should I just stick in new headers (still have a bung welded in after the secondary cats) and go from there?

I know nuttin' bout catamalytic converter dezine...

Forgive me as there is plenty of information using the search function but not quite the same as what I'm thinking about...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Has anyone thought about/done a custom exhaust for their car? In reading all the posts about headers I am interested but not at the cost of not passing emissions. I think it is Fabspeed that has the headers with the "high flow" cats but they cost an arm and a leg. What about picking up a set of headers (without the cats) and having a muffler shop weld in "high flow" cats and an O2 bung (where the secondary cats are located) so that you get the benefit of better headers but also have a set of "primary" cats? Or are the secondary cats the same as the primary cats? Or should I just stick in new headers (still have a bung welded in after the secondary cats) and go from there?

I know nuttin' bout catamalytic converter dezine...

Forgive me as there is plenty of information using the search function but not quite the same as what I'm thinking about...
Sammy,
I think you are on to something here. This would be the best way to get improved performance from a good set of headers without the downside of tuning issues, emission test issues, CEL issues etc. I just don't know anyone who has done it yet though.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #3

Great idea, difficult to implement. If you look at all the non-catted headers out there (TurboWerx, B&B, SuperSprint, the Chinese copies) and compare them to the catted headers from FabSpeed, you'll notice significant design differences to accommodate the cat in the length of the primaries. I don't think there is any way to make room for a cat in any of the manufactured non catted headers.

I have heard that Nello at MaxSpeed will soon have high flow catted headers, but I cannot verify this. Aside from that, I think you'd be designing an building a complete header from the ground up if you wanted to do this.

In terms of performance and avoiding CELs, you can run a non catted header, and relocate the secondary O2 sensors to after the secondary (well now your only) cats.

Hope this helps

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Great idea, difficult to implement. If you look at all the non-catted headers out there (TurboWerx, B&B, SuperSprint, the Chinese copies) and compare them to the catted headers from FabSpeed, you'll notice significant design differences to accommodate the cat in the length of the primaries. I don't think there is any way to make room for a cat in any of the manufactured non catted headers.

I have heard that Nello at MaxSpeed will soon have high flow catted headers, but I cannot verify this. Aside from that, I think you'd be designing an building a complete header from the ground up if you wanted to do this.

In terms of performance and avoiding CELs, you can run a non catted header, and relocate the secondary O2 sensors to after the secondary (well now your only) cats.

Hope this helps

Patrick
I was thinking the secondary cats are not quite up to par in terms of emissions performance with the primary cats. I was looking to simply swap out better cats in place of the secondary cats if it made sense?

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote