Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

Thumbs up Thanks 986 Forum

And Lemoncello for saving me a lot of grief and $$. If this thread violates any rule or is in the wrong catagory, my apologies to the mod's.

I was thoroughly convinced that my ignition tumblers were falling apart (97 Boxster) because my key would not turn -thereby almost leaving me stranded. After owning a Land Rover for years, having a bad ignition cylinder for most of them, I was bummed; it was going to be an ordeal and an expensive one.

I called the local Porsche dealer for a price on the cylinder kit. Not too bad considering I (again) have owned a fickle Rover and am acustomed to expensive parts. However, I decided to check this forum, do a search and BINGO.

I read everything I could pull up regarding bad ignition switches. All of the symptoms were there... it must be it. I bought the part at NAPA, followed Lemoncello's directions and had the part in quickly. Key turns like a dream -just like it did earlier that day.

Thanks again.

A relative newb

Jerry 92RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #2

congrats!!! feels good doesnt it!... sometimes the forums will veer you in the wrong direction but when it goes 'right' its extra sweet
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on A) fixing your problem and B) Using the search feature. It's so helpful!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

Welcome to the Forum, I have saved countless dollars through the guys here.

I have also spent more money than I want to count. Because it just made sense to supercharge, then turbo, install 19inch rims, coilovers, etc.

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #5

This is a great story. Warms our heart that the forum can help like this.

Hey, I LOVE saving people money.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

Whats that saying? "its not about the cars, its about the people?"
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR

I have also spent more money than I want to count.

Ummmm not me......

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

I learned the search feature years ago on the Land Rover forums. It does irritate me when a newb will come in and ask the same question -over and over...what size tire can I use without a lift...ect.

I am probably guilty of doing that at some point, I am sure.

Some of you have great looking cars (ones pictured - not to exclude anyone.) Thankfully mine is in good shape except the paint. Guards Red, the previous owner used an automatice car wash. It was also keyed and touched up. Annnnnnnnnd, the many rock chips on the front clip that I have sheepishly covered with a new Porsche bra.

Odd problem, the rear trunk lid's paint is ruined yet the quarters and engine hood are great?!?! Looks like someone dumped an acid on the deck. I buffed and buffed, the stains will not come out, it is now a shiny, water-spotted trunk lid. White spots I assume are from soap that did not wash off and baked in the Nevada sun.

Car looks great from ten feet. I am not interested in the $400 cost of repainting the trunk lid. Body shop said they could tint and not blend the surrounding area.

Jerry 92RR is offline   Reply With Quote