Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #1

Parking brake shoes replacement

Has anyone replaced their parking brake shoes? The Bentley manual just says the usual 'installation is the reverse of removal'. I can't seem to get the two shoes on with the lower spring ($22 spring- thanks mr. dealer) installed. Putting the shoes on and then putting the spring on is nearly impossible since you need the jaws of life to pull the spring apart.

Thanks for any advice.

I got the parts at the local dealer since I needed them fast.
I didn't get them fast.
I still have to go back to get parts they said had arrived.
I get charged 30% over Porsche retail (renntech.org data).
Plus $13 tax.
Plus gas for two trips- $15+/-.

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

There are different springs for the Base and the 'S', be sure yours are the correct type.

There are special tools which give you a mechanical advantage over the spring tension which work well. But, so will a pick or very thin phillips screwdrive. Place the end hook of the spring onto the shaft of the pick/driver. Then put the end of the tool into the hole on the shoe for the spring to use it as a fulcrum. Work the tool to expand the spring, bringing the end hook close to the hole and with your free hand turn the spring/end hook so it's oriented properly, push the end hook to the tip of the tool and simultaneously hook the end hook into the hole on the shoe while extracting the tool from the hole. It may take a couple attempts, especially if this is your 1st time, but I've used this method for many brake repairs and it will work.

BTW, if ever at an Antique Fair or such, keep an eye out for an old fashioned Buttonhook. These are pretty plentiful, cheap, and make excellent tools for pulling and installing springs of all sorts. I have one in my toolbox I paid $5 for and it's saved me a hundred times that amount in ease, speed, and lack of frustration on many repair jobs.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-25-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote