Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I have become another Boxster statistic

So here's the story:

A couple of weeks ago I was assisting a friend who works on Porsches do some work on my car. We flushed the brake lines and the coolant lines and put new stuff in. While up on the lift my friend noticed the left rear CV boot was torn and there was a leak on the left cam seal.

So last week I called Luxury Motors in Downers Grove, where I bought the car and the warranty, and told them of the problem. The head of the service department said to bring her on in and they'll take a look.

I dropped my BoxS off and one of the service people noticed the double-din kit trieullionaire sold me and was quite impressed. Props to Tri and his good work. (pics will come when I get her back)

After a couple of days the head guy, Phil, called me and told me they'd put the car on the lift and saw the two problems I mentioned, plus one more. "Mr. Hills, you have a leaking rear-main seal." que shocking music! Yep, my green BoxS has the dreaded RMS.

Phil then said the warranty people would have to inspect the car to make sure it was covered. Believe you-me that I poured over my contract to make sure everything was covered. After reading all the warranty horror stories on the board I was ready to have to argue.

Today Phil called and said all the repairs would be covered by the warranty. Total cost $2960. Cost of the warranty when I bought the car $2932. Plus I still have 2.5 more years and 50k miles left on the warranty.

A lot of people have had bad experiences with LM but each time I go there they've taken care of me (knock on wood).

So for the next week I'm without my green Boxster. And the weather is finally great here in Chicagoland. At least she'll be fixed and ready for the DE event next month.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
So here's the story:

A couple of weeks ago I was assisting a friend who works on Porsches do some work on my car. We flushed the brake lines and the coolant lines and put new stuff in. While up on the lift my friend noticed the left rear CV boot was torn and there was a leak on the left cam seal.

So last week I called Luxury Motors in Downers Grove, where I bought the car and the warranty, and told them of the problem. The head of the service department said to bring her on in and they'll take a look.

I dropped my BoxS off and one of the service people noticed the double-din kit trieullionaire sold me and was quite impressed. Props to Tri and his good work. (pics will come when I get her back)

After a couple of days the head guy, Phil, called me and told me they'd put the car on the lift and saw the two problems I mentioned, plus one more. "Mr. Hills, you have a leaking rear-main seal." que shocking music! Yep, my green BoxS has the dreaded RMS.

Phil then said the warranty people would have to inspect the car to make sure it was covered. Believe you-me that I poured over my contract to make sure everything was covered. After reading all the warranty horror stories on the board I was ready to have to argue.

Today Phil called and said all the repairs would be covered by the warranty. Total cost $2960. Cost of the warranty when I bought the car $2932. Plus I still have 2.5 more years and 50k miles left on the warranty.

A lot of people have had bad experiences with LM but each time I go there they've taken care of me (knock on wood).

So for the next week I'm without my green Boxster. And the weather is finally great here in Chicagoland. At least she'll be fixed and ready for the DE event next month.
Good for you. Nice to have that coverage when you need it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hey good for you, glad it all worked out.
i went to school with a kid whose uncle owns the place (forgot his name).
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #4

Wow, 102 views and only 2 replies. LOL

Some have expressed sympathy in PMs, my thanks to you.

I am curious, however, what are the odds of a second RMS leak after a repair has been done?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Hey lucky mofo, Good thing you forked over the extra dough for the warranty!

I would say that getting a second RMS leak is inevitable mainly cause there isnt a single car in the world that wont eventually spring a leak from the RMS. Its a normal wear part. Thats why its common practice for mechanics to replace the RMS whenever the tranny is unbolted from the engine.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Hey lucky mofo, Good thing you forked over the extra dough for the warranty!

I would say that getting a second RMS leak is inevitable mainly cause there isnt a single car in the world that wont eventually spring a leak from the RMS. Its a normal wear part. Thats why its common practice for mechanics to replace the RMS whenever the tranny is unbolted from the engine.

I have to say this. I have been driving for over 40 yrs. I have NEVER had an RMS in any car but a Box and a 911.

That proves nothing but I have just curious about your experience with other RMS failures.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #7

Well thats just plane luck right there, to never have had an RMS leak.

I've seen it all, engine FMS and RMS as well as Transmission FMS and RMS. The only way i've been avoiding it is to replace the RMS or FMS whenever Im in the process of replacing clutch's, fly wheels, clutch forks & crank pulley's.

Have you ever replaced the RMS and/or FMS as preventative maintance?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Well thats just plane luck right there, to never have had an RMS leak.

I've seen it all, engine FMS and RMS as well as Transmission FMS and RMS. The only way i've been avoiding it is to replace the RMS or FMS whenever Im in the process of replacing clutch's, fly wheels, clutch forks & crank pulley's.

Have you ever replaced the RMS and/or FMS as preventative maintance?

I must be pretty lucky. I have had untold numbers of Corvettes, an MG, RX-7,s, 3 300ZXs, an XKE, etc. What are the chances?

No, the only cars that ever left oil on my floor were 2 Boxsters and a 911.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #9

Interesting points of view.

Bruce, have you had a second RMS failure after getting the first one fixed in either of your Boxsters?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #10

What are the odds, I've owned 3 300zx's as well, all were Z32 TwinTurbos, The first one i bought had a FMS leak and the 3rd had a Rear Main Seal leak from the transmission... I guess if you take care of them and feed them good oil you can reduce the chances of getting a leak as a result of a degraded seal. I have a question.... Did you ever have an account on twinturbo.net?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Interesting points of view.

Bruce, have you had a second RMS failure after getting the first one fixed in either of your Boxsters?

No, but to be fair, I did not keep them very long after the repair. Remember, I was dealing these cars so I did not hang on to them very long.

I do know a repeat RMS is not out of the question but know of no data on this.

The factory would but they are not saying!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
What are the odds, I've owned 3 300zx's as well, all were Z32 TwinTurbos, The first one i bought had a FMS leak and the 3rd had a Rear Main Seal leak from the transmission... I guess if you take care of them and feed them good oil you can reduce the chances of getting a leak as a result of a degraded seal. I have a question.... Did you ever have an account on twinturbo.net?

No, I did not. I never had a Turbo but drove several and was totally impressed. My buddy had one of those Stillen near 500 HP monsters. WOWWWWWWWWW.

I did have a number of OTHER kinds of leaks in one of my zxs. I think it was cam cover, value covers, or both.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #13

Chills, So glad to here the warranty is working out. Bought mine at LM also. I felt like the 3 things they wanted to sell me were 1-Lojack 2 Warr. 3 Boxster. BUT what a impressive place!!!
986chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Bleed Green

Are you a Land Rover owner? That is a catch phrase for Rover owners. Also, seems you attract RMS failures, another factor typical of Rover owners. "If it's not leaking, it's empty."

Thankfully the Pcar does not leak but the RRover leaks plenty!

I moved to Reno from the Quad Cities IA/IL, I participated with the Chicago LRover club on a few outings.

Last edited by Jerry 92RR; 05-02-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Jerry 92RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #15

Chills, what is the name of your warranty company?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #16

Bleeding green is a Rover saying? Interesting, I didn't know that. Mine refers to being a die-hard Kawasaki rider. It also now applies to my Porsche.

Randal, I believe it is EasyCare.

I'm going to pick her up tonight. After 2.5 weeks at the shop she's finally done. I can't wait to drive her, it'll like having a new car.

WOOT!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #17

I picked up my Pcar last night. Total cost $28.20 for some new spark plug tubes. They were cracked and the warranty didn't cover them.

Here's what they fixed:

RMS
Left cam seal
LR CV boot
changed out shift cables

Driving her home last night I have to say she runs smoother than when I bought her. She also shifts better. I've heard many bad things about Luxury Motors but time and again I've had good experiences. They called me often while she was being worked on to update me on their progress. It did take longer to get the work done than originally estimated, but I won't hold that against them.

I'm so glad to have my car back, just in time for beautiful weather, too.