Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

messed up, need help!!

I removed the gauge cluster to swap out my black gauge faces for red ones. while doing this, i broke all three white clip attached to the wire harnesses on the back of the cluster. They would come out for , well you know, so ofcourse I trried pursuading them with a small flat head, and broke all three. Can you replace the white "cam" clips? When I plug in the white, black, and blue connectors now, nothing work, I'm assuming because there is no direct pressure holding them in. If I push them in and hold them (the blue connector) with my hands and turn on the lights, the dash lights up. but once I release pressure, they go off. Part#'s???

Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #2

Well, Tholyoak sent me both the plastic housing and the cam lock attached to them. I carefully removed the cam locks, and put the on my original wire harness connectors. Perfect right??? Wrong. The gauges still dont work, the dash lights dont come on when I turn on the headlights, and my front driver's side turn signal wont go on. This all happened right after I disassembled, and re assembled the gauge pod. So I thought maybe I blew a fuse....Nope, checked them all, and no blown fuse. When I engage the left turn signal, the rear turn signal works, but at a fatser speed than normal. The right turn signal, front and rear, work fine at normal clicking speed. I hope I didnt ruin anything!!! Please someone help me!! oh, and thanks THOLYOAK for the parts and fast shipping.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #3

Did you slide the two small electrical connectors on the back of the gauge pod? They are hard to move but to re-connect they slide towards each other.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Try this... With the Ignition on, Remove and re-plug all 3 connectors one at a time, back into the back of your gauge cluster until everything turns back on.

Also try this with the Ignition on and with the left turnsignal engaged... then with the right turnsignal engaged until you locate which Connector isnt seated properly into the back of the cluster.... Keep in mind that if you reinsert & clip them in correctly, you will notice that as you lift the locking cam, the connected till pull itself deeper into the cluster on its own.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #5

Make sure you don't have a bent pin - easily happens and several others have suffered from this.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

EUREKA!!!!! Dumb mistake, well not really, but I didnt fully slide over the two computer pins on the back of the gauge cluster. I didnt want to force things and break the pins, after I broke the cam locks. I checked everything CJ said, then went back, took everything apart, and thought, well maybe they slide alittle more. Sure enough they moved about 3mm more in, and everything worked fine. Put it all back together, and VIOLA!!! Except the front turn signal still doesnt work, so maybe I just blew the bulb? My friend said the same thing happens in his B'Mer, that it is like a signal to the driver when the signal clicks at a faster pace, a bulb has blown.

As far as the red gauges, yes I bought them from FVD. I'm pretty sure when I bought them, there were ones for the 987. Only thing is the RPM gauge does have GEMBALLA across the top, but I dont mind, I respect their products, and I really just wanted red gauges. Plus they were on sale for like $35.00 for the RPM.

Thanks for all the help THOLYOAK, JP, and CJ.
Thats what these forums are really for, teamwork, friendship, and saving a buck or two by DIY!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #7

Good to hear it was just a bad electrical connection.
There's good advice to be found here, that's for sure.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #8

Glad you were able to take care of it!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:28 AM   #9

I love my Red guage faces albeit they were a $695 option.

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote