Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Magnetic oil drain plug

i dont think porsche sells any magnetic drains plugs, but i have bought some of my previous cars
i have a 99 boxster and was wondering if i should just jb weld a magnet onto the end of my drain plug....

funlovinguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Those work well in engines where lots of the "wear debris" is iron based, but how much of the Boxster motor wear would be picked up?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #3

Why not get one of those outside the oil filter magnetic jackets?

http://www.filtermag.com/tech.php

Not that I'm endorsing them, just wouldn't want a magnet "floating" around inside my sump.

Jason
jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jderiansf
Why not get one of those outside the oil filter magnetic jackets?

http://www.filtermag.com/tech.php

Not that I'm endorsing them, just wouldn't want a magnet "floating" around inside my sump.

Jason
The problem as I see it with the Filter Magnet straps is that they tend to collect any ferrous material floating around right at the area where the greatest flow occurs. I think there's more likelyhood that some of this could be 'washed' loose and circulate around the engine more.

The drainplug magnets live off to the side, away from the highest flow, so any debris seems less likely to break free once 'trapped'. + it has the added force of gravity working on it, whereas on the filter strap, gravity is working against the magnetic force trying to capture the debris.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

The problem with the magnetic plug is that hardly any of the oil is exposed to that small area. It can only hold onto particles that pass very near the plug. The magnets on the filter have exposure to much, much more of the oil.

How effective are they? I don't know but I suppose neither one could hurt anything. There's plenty of iron in the engine, even if the block and heads aren't made from it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The problem with the magnetic plug is that hardly any of the oil is exposed to that small area. It can only hold onto particles that pass very near the plug. The magnets on the filter have exposure to much, much more of the oil.

How effective are they? I don't know but I suppose neither one could hurt anything. There's plenty of iron in the engine, even if the block and heads aren't made from it.
You can check out this http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html (about 3/4 of the way down the page) where the guy lists another company and also shows you how to use a couple of hard drive magnets to build your own, if you decide on going this route.

One thing I would worry about, and I haven't found an answer, is that many anti-wear additives have polar molecules and I don't know if the magnets would attract these. Good luck.

Regards,
paul...

paulv is offline   Reply With Quote