Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

please help with evo install

For those that have installed the EVO airbox, I have some questions.
How hard is this install? Should I just pay someone to do it? Any helpful tips if I do it myself? The instructions call for intake manifold removal.....do I really need to do that?

Any help is appreciated,
James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 03-15-2008 at 07:54 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

hard, no, hacksaw, no
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #3

"For those that have installed the EVO airbox, I have some questions.
How hard is this install? Should I just pay someone to do it? Any helpful tips if I do it myself? The instructions call for intake manifold removal.....do I really need to do that?"

Reply:

"hard, no, hacksaw, no"

I watched as they installed my ttp intake, and it did look like a pain in the butt. One of of the first things they did was to start cutting up the stock intake to remove it.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #4

What kind of Intakes are those you have in your car. I am thinking of making for myself.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #5

Here is a link to the TTP intake I am using: TTP website

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #6

The hardest or easiest part of the install depending on how you do it is the removal of the existing intake. Hardest if you want to keep it intact. Easiest if you just cut or hack it out. The rest of it is pretty easy. Be prepared for a code or two as sometimes the oil on the filter will mess up the mass airflow sensor.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #7

My 2 Cents.

Get a drop in BMC filter. The evo intake will take out you MAF sensor, too much oil. Yes you can clean the sensor if this happens or you may have to replace it. The evo intake sounds cool but I feel there was no large difference in power. Desnork the car and slide out your old filter and slide in a bmc.

Just my 2 Cents.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #8

The EVO filter does not have oil. It is just a cone filter, larger tubing and bigger airbox.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #9

The EVO cone filter most definately does have oil. It is the oil that helps trap smaller particles. Mine came with instructions on cleaning and reapplying the oil. I do not remember in it was a K&N cone filter or a look a like but its basically the same thing.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 03-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #10

The instructions say nothing of oil. The cone filter looks like a normal filter.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net//lib/eagleday/986evoinstall.pdf
Do you think you have an older version? Now I am really confused.
James
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #11

"Get a drop in BMC filter. The evo intake will take out you MAF sensor, too much oil. Yes you can clean the sensor if this happens or you may have to replace it."

I have been paranoid about the BMC filter with my TTP intake taking out my MAF. The BMC filter in my system uses oil. But so far no problems with the MAF and I have put on over 20K miles using the TTP intake system.

Ed

Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
The instructions say nothing of oil. The cone filter looks like a normal filter.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net//lib/eagleday/986evoinstall.pdf
Do you think you have an older version? Now I am really confused.
James
That's because I think the filter comes to you pre-oiled already. Many say to let the filter sit over paper towels overnight prior to installing because any excess will end up fouling the MAF.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #13

Really guys, there is no oil, and the filter is not pre oiled. Is it possable that this is just a regular cone filter?
Does anyone have a website or # of evolution motorsports so I can put this to rest?
JAmes
Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #14

I could have fried chicken with the amount of oil that comes on those things. Maybe the newer filters do not have oil. That too is a bad thing. You need the oil to trap the little things.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #15

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.evoms.com/home.asp
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #16

these filters to work should be oiled. not overly nor under oiled. a properly oiled filter will not foul a MAF. and it will filter dirt better than a non oiled filter.

this is not a hard install. are you mechanically inclined? have you installed say.. spark plugs, sway bars, suspension or an aftermarket stereo before? if you answered yes to at least 2 of those, then I am sure you are fine.

you don' t have to remove the intake manifold, but its nice to unbolt it, and wiggle it about. it gives you more room to work.

i put in my evo unit and kept the stock airbox in tact. its a lot easier if you have a lift, or at the very least a nice jack and stands. its not hard, just involved, and its manual labor. for me the mod was worth it for the sound alone.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
hard, no, hacksaw, no
Really? I am pretty good with cars, professionally was a: Mechanic, auto body tech, 12v installer, auto upholstery, wheels & tires. So when I say it was a pain it usually is. I was trying to remove the stock air box w/o damaging it and not disassembling the motor. Well don't expect that. Ether expect to take off your intake manifold, or cut the crap out of your stock air box. After its out of the hole no problem.

Try going here: www.myspace.com/tcechelon I may have install pics there?
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #18

Ok well i guess I will need to take off the manifold. Which is ok I guess, What is involved in that? Gaskets? Special tools? Tips to know and things NOT to do?
I rather know what I am dealing with so I can get prepared and not have my car sit half done for days.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

James
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #19

I just happened to read someone lowered their motor instead may be a better option.
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #20

drop the motor???!!!?? I was hopeing this was a good 1/2 day weekend thing. I cant drop the motor in my garage with jack stands....

Maybe I should just sell the intake. Any buyers for a brand new EVO intake?
James