Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Current 3.4L conversion owners.

Hello all,

If you are reading my previous post you know what this is all about. (If you have not it seams the motor has seen its last days) I would appreciate any and all information regarding upgrading a 2001 Boxster to a 3.4L or 3.6L. If you would prefer to Email me your personal experience with this type of project feel free. I would like to know your personal experience both Positive and Negative. I would also like some recommendations for shops to do the installation.

Thanks in advance.

TB

THTABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #2

There is a lot of information on engine swaps over on Renntech.
here is a link http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11411
or you can do a search for posts by member tholyoak.
Aron in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #3

I guess the timing was just right. I have a 3.4L 1999 996 in mine for the past 2 weeks. I wanted some time before I posted my experience, but since your asking I might as well post some of my thoughts.

I sent it to Todd (tholyoak) a few months back in Kansas City. Communication was great with him, answered all my questions 100% and promptly. He is the guru on these swaps in my opinion. I checked out some local shops, but the 2 never did any swaps personally. So off to Todd it went. I bought a reman engine from a shop in Ca. So far the engine runs great. I still am working out the headers, cats, and exhaust, but will post more when I get that done. I'm using the 2.5L Boxster setup for now. Basically, your in Memphis, so I would ship it to Todd if he has the time to do it. Probably 3-400 for the shipping out and you can drive it back. You want someone who has done this before and he has. His price was resonable as well. I won't say, just PM him.

The engine response is instant when you touch the gas and you can feel the pull starting at the low end at 2-3k and it really pulls above that. So that's the improvement I felt in low RPM's. You definetly feel the difference compared to the 2.5L. I love it so far and trying to get the proper headers, cats, and exhaust should finish it off. PM with any questions.

Last edited by smiledrs; 03-13-2008 at 04:29 PM.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #4

Incredible man, I debated this mod, but couldn't justify ripping out an engine that ran perfectly well.

Keep us updated on the performance and maintenance.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Incredible man, I debated this mod, but couldn't justify ripping out an engine that ran perfectly well.

Keep us updated on the performance and maintenance.
I unfortunately had no choice as my 2.5L died on me at 22K. So by the advice of some on the board, they recommend me to go ahead and put in the 3.4 as it would be very close to the cost of the 2.5.

I don't have access to a Dyno, so I can't put out the WHP. I just have to go on what I feel. Talking to Todd, who did have access to a dyno, with 3.4L and Supersprint headers and Fabspeed exhuast, it was 280 WHP. The new Cayman S 3.4L 295hp puts out 269 WHP. So my guess is roughly 305-310 HP once I get all the proper setup. Engine noise is about 10 decible higher to me but that might be from having much too small headers on the new 3.4L. Don't mind it too much for the instant touch and go I now have.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #6

"Engine noise is about 10 decible higher to me but that might be from having much too small headers on the new 3.4L. Don't mind it too much for the instant touch and go I now have."

Do you know if you can use headers from a 2.7L engine on a 3.4L conversion? Having put a complete exhaust system on my 2.7, I know it can be expensive. It would be good if I could use the aftermarket headers and high-flow cats on a replacement engine.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #7

"Engine noise is about 10 decible higher to me but that might be from having much too small headers on the new 3.4L. Don't mind it too much for the instant touch and go I now have."

Do you know if you can use headers from a 2.7L engine on a 3.4L conversion? Having put a complete exhaust system on my 2.7, I know it can be expensive. It would be good if I could use the aftermarket headers and high-flow cats on a replacement engine.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #8

They will, fit, whether they will allow you to get everything out of the motor is another issue. An exhaust made for the 2.7 is probably going to be undersized for the larger motor.

Todd

1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote