Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
gcb

987 S mods and warranty

I'm curious what issues (good/bad?) you all might have had with Porsche dealers after you've done mods (of any kind) Engine / exhaust, etc...

I have an '08-S coming in a couple weeks and would like to bump the hp through ecu and exhaust mods, but am concerned about warranty issues.

Porsche short shifter
(anyone add this after and can give opinions on the differences they felt)?

Engine (ecu? other?)
any suggestions of which you recommend? are these always detectable if ever is was brought back to stock specs if they needed to be removed?

Exhaust
really do NOT want anything loud? as close to stock sound as possible...
suggestions?

anything else you recommend??
But my main concern is what can I modify and not be worried about warranty issues? probably not much huh? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and suggestions...

Thank you!

gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
bmussatti

Congrats on the new car!

Drive and own the car for several month before you start doing any mods. You need to get past the engine/car break-in period anyway.

Most mods for the Boxster are very-very expensive and debatable, at best.

As for Exhaust, the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) is awesome. You should have ordered the car this way from Germany. Doing it through Tequipment is more expensive (about an additional $1K).

Join you local Porsche Club and do some DE's and AutoX's and learn to use the HP the car has.

This would be my advice.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #3

Great advice from bm!

ECU (DME for Porsche) tuning can be done, but there are no upgrades I know of which are approved for Road Use. That means you will void your emissions warranty and possibly the engine warranty.

It is my understanding that the Porsche Factory Tester at the dealership can detect any altering of the DME because the original files are not undetectably restored, despite several vendor claims to the contrary.

Like he said, get to know the car and do the break-in before trying to improve on it.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
gcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Congrats on the new car!

Drive and own the car for several month before you start doing any mods. You need to get past the engine/car break-in period anyway.

Most mods for the Boxster are very-very expensive and debatable, at best.

As for Exhaust, the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) is awesome. You should have ordered the car this way from Germany. Doing it through Tequipment is more expensive (about an additional $1K).

Join you local Porsche Club and do some DE's and AutoX's and learn to use the HP the car has.

This would be my advice.
Thank you Bussmatti..
much appreciated!
good suggestions... I currently am driving an '03 Boxster S...so I'm looking forward to feeling the bump in HP along with the new engine, etc.... I hear there is a world of difference between the 986 and 987 models..

How do you like yours? is this your first Boxster? Do you find yourself leaving the sport exhaust on all the time or only during more spirited cruising?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
bmussatti

GCB, I love my Boxster, and yes, this is my first Porsche. Not my last. I want a whole stable!

My PSE is in "sport" (loud) mode at all time. Sounds great.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
gcb

Thanks.. yes I know the feeling, I love mine too. My '03 has about ~257 hp so the 40hp bump will be quite a cool feeling I'm sure.

You must be itching to pull yours out of storage... pretty soon huh? Pretty nasty weather huh? I grew up there and lived in north suburbs and then lincoln park area before moving to AZ. Don't miss the weather at all! But definitely miss the great people, food, activities... culture, etc.. your in a great place!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb
Thanks.. yes I know the feeling, I love mine too. My '03 has about ~257 hp so the 40hp bump will be quite a cool feeling I'm sure.

You must be itching to pull yours out of storage... pretty soon huh? Pretty nasty weather huh? I grew up there and lived in north suburbs and then lincoln park area before moving to AZ. Don't miss the weather at all! But definitely miss the great people, food, activities... culture, etc.. your in a great place!
Yes, 40 more HP will feel great! And the 987 interior is very-very nice.

Can't wait to et the car out. Hopefully in another 30 days.

Weather right now is awesome...I am in Maui!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
gcb

Here is my spec'd out options.

I almost went with the Navigation system too, but it was so awful and sales staff couldn't even figure some of it out. A whole lot of knob spinning and time to imput. Really primitive.... I could think of a lot better options to get with the $3k it saved me.

Regarding sports chrono.... i test drove the heck out of one and really could not tell any significant difference.. it was 'subtle' at best... not worth the $1k they wanted...that and the nasty looking useless stop watch (wart) on the dash...

I ordered Meteor Grey.. almost went with Slate, but they were pretty darn close and again..for over $3k more it wasn't that much difference... better yet.. I put it into full leather and leather sport steering wheel!

Meteor Grey
Blck top and interior
19" Carrera S Wheel
Wheel Caps with Crest
Power Seat Package (Lumbar control A MUST!)
Full leather
Smooth leather sport steering wheel
Heated Seats (always using these)
Floor Mats
Winstop/Deflector
Roll Bar Painted Exterior Color
Exterior Package Exterior Color (Side vents and Front Vents)
Bose Surround
Bi-Xenon Lights
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
bmussatti

GCB:

Very nice build. Good work.

I agree with you 100% on the Sport Chrono. This was the hardest decision I had to make when selecting my options. It is just a really hard thing to notice and appreciate during a test drive. And I don't like the "wart" either. But the interphase of the SC with the PSM is very-very good and worth the $1K IMHO.

Post some pics when that bad-a$$ arrives!!